Tummy Tuck Scar Necrosis - Risks and Causes?

hi my ps does lipo on the flanks as part of the tt process... im terrified about getting necrosis in the tt scar.. iv read that lipo can cause necrosis due to trauma to the fat and blood vessels is this true? i dont smoke, drink,, im ideal weight eat healthy and exercise what are my chances of getting necrosis? I do have allergies and seem to be sensitive to chemicals and suffer with neck and shoulder pain, does this mean i could get necrosis? thanks nenee

Liposuction With Tummy Tuck

+2

Liposuction with Tummy Tuck is very routine and safe when done with appropriate judgment and technique by properly by a well-qualified surgeon.

Minimizing your risks of complications includes finding a very experienced, competent Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and skin necrosis

+1

Liposuction of the flanks is considered pretty safe when combined with a full abdominoplasty.  Skin necrosis is  more common when a full tummy tuck is combined with central abdominal liposuction.

Skin necrosis with tummy tuck

+1

It sounds as if you are an excellent candidate for the procedure. Liposuction on the flanks will not likely contribute to skin necrosis. However, liposuction in the central portions of the abdomen can contribute to an increased incidence of necrosis along with smoking, excessive tension, prior scars, or any other condition contributing to vascular compromise.

Well-executed liposuction should not increase risk of tummy tuck

+1

Hi there-

Provided you are a good candidate, and you are having surgery with an experienced, well-trained, and certified Plastic Surgeon who know what they're doing, performing a bit of liposuction at the time of your tummy tuck is a great way to fine tune the sculpture that will be your abdomen and torso.

I personally always do a little liposuction with my tummy tucks, and have never experienced (I'm knocking on wood right now) the complication you describe.

There are other factors that can increase the risk of this occurring, but none of these appear to apply to you- obesity and smoking are the two biggest problems).

Good luck!

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Can my lower Tummy Tuck skin die and incision separate?

+1

Regarding : "Tummy Tuck Scar Necrosis - Risks and Causes?
hi my ps does lipo on the flanks as part of the tt process... im terrified about getting necrosis in the tt scar.. iv read that lipo can cause necrosis due to trauma to the fat and blood vessels is this true? i dont smoke, drink,, im ideal weight eat healthy and exercise what are my chances of getting necrosis? I do have allergies and seem to be sensitive to chemicals and suffer with neck and shoulder pain, does this mean i could get necrosis? "

Liposuction of the lower back and flanks is a safe procedure which is NOT associated with loss of blood supply to the lower tummy skin resulting in death (necrosis) and wound separation. I use it commonly in my practice to sculpt the upper buttocks and hips in my Tummy tuck patients.

Potential causes for tummy tuck flap compromise may be excessive tension on the wound, compression of the lower tummy skin (tight garment or a fold in the garment), smoking or being exposed to smoke, diabetics or patients with autoimmune diseases, excessive liposuction of the undermined and lifted area of the tummy among others. None of these APPEAR to pertain to you.

It is UNLIKELY this complication would happen in your case.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Liposuction and Tummy Tuck

+1

I incorporate liposuction into almost all of my tummy tuck / abdominoplasty procedures.  I consider this part of the surgery and do not charge extra for this portion.  When done conservatively liposuction adds considerably to the results from tummy tuck / abdominoplasty.  Risk of necrosis is due to diminished blood supply.  Action that you can take on your part is to make sure that you do not smoke and ensure that you are healthy to have surgery.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Properly done lipoabdominoplasty is very safe

+1

For years the Brazilians have been doing liposuction at the same time as abdominoplasty and in New York Alan Matarasso has done this and written a book about it and how to safely do it . Liposuction of the upper abdomen at the time of a tummy tuck is safe and will improve the results over not doing it (in most  patients).

Based on the information that you gave you should be a good candidate for Lipoabdominoplasty. The main risk factor is smoking which you do not do.

Seek out a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that is familiar with this procedure. 

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Scar Necrosis - Risks and Causes

+1

Causes of skin necrosis after a tummy tuck are as follows: Too tight a repair causing restriction of blood supply, Too aggressive a undermining superiorly. Too much lipo of the flap, swelling. bleeding, trauma to the flap after the operation. Too tight a binder. 

Risks increase in smokers, any blood thinners or vitamins. Seek opinions in person. 

You could but unlikely

+1

It is possible to have a complication with any procedure with any surgeon at any time.  By minimizing your risk factors you are decreasing your risks.  I perform my abdominoplasties, including conservative lipo, in the hospital only with an overnight stay.  This way I can make sure my patients ambulate the day of surgery, breathe correctly, have good pain control, use compression garments and so on.  In 20 years , I have never had any of my flaps necrose although it could happen to anyone.  The whole trick to safety is minimization of risk.

David Shuter, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tucks and liposuction

+1

Tummy tuck (Abdominoplasty) and Liposuction surgeries are frequently combined. Liposuction of the sides and back can help sculpt the torso to maintain pleasing proportions and remove disproportionate bulges of fat.

Necrosis is caused by interupting the blood supply to the skin. It is six times more common in people who smoke, because smoking chokes the blood supply to the skin. This is one of the main reasons plastic surgeons ask their patients not to smoke before and after procedures like tummy tucks, facelifts and breast reductions.

Necrosis after tummy tucks is rare. You will find reports of liposuction, especially superficial liposuction, increasing the risk of necrosis, but this is when the liposuction is done in the areas that supply blood to the abdominal skin. The blood supply comes from the upper and outer areas of the abdominal skin, so liposuction low and on the sides, should not significantly increase the risk of necrosis.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon