Sensitive Starring After TT and Breast Lift?

I had surgery 9 weeks ago and My scarring seems a bit raised and quite sensitive more so near end of day. I use silicone strips for part of the day and then use vitamin e or bio oil in the evenings. And I do massage it in a little but only just start massaging it in quite firmly as that is what people are saying to . I am 46 years of age, Caucasian and in very good health. I am not any any medications, I don't smoke. Can you advise if this is normal or what I could do better.

Scarring after tummy tuck

+1
Scars tend to remain red for months after surgery. pain and discomfort are also normal. But if the scar is becoming thick and raised this may be normal or sign of keloid formation. Have your PS examine the scar, since keloids can be treated with injections, and are much easier to treat early on. Continue with silicone strips and massage as well.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Sensitive Scars After Surgery

+1

Thank you for the question. What you are describing is the normal progression of wound healing. The first 3 months or so of wound healing, whether from surgery or otherwise, the tissues are in an inflammatory state. The body is reacting to the "injury" that has occurred. During this time there is a significant amount of swelling in the area and the scarring process is very active. It is not unusual to have scars that are thick, hard, red and fairly sensitive. After the 3 month period the scar will begin a period known as remodeling. During this time as the name implies your scar is undergoing changes where by the inflammatory and scarring processes are subsiding and the appearance of the scar improves. As the scar matures during this time, it becomes less red, softer. This progression will take approximately 12 to 18 months to accomplish.

Be patient, you are still in the early part of the healing cycle. More importantly continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon as he will be better able to guide you through your recovery and discern normal from complication. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Scarring post mommy maker-over

+1

What you are describing sounds within the realm of normal following surgery.  Scars tend to be red and thick for three months before they tend to soft, flatten and fade in color.  This process of scar maturation can take a year or two to get as good S they are going to get on their own.  Scar products and massage can help flatten and lightn scars, but ultimately, your genetics and wound healing will determine the ultimate appearance of the scars.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Sensitive Scarring After TT and Breast Lift?

+1

All of these findings are quite common. and it seems that what you are doing to treat the scars is appropriate. Scars are usually at their maximum and 6 to 12 weeks, so you should expect improvement with or without any attention on your part. It can take up to a year for full maturity.

Keep in touch with your surgeon, who can advise if anything additional should be considered.

Thanks and best wishes.