Sensitive Scars? (photo)

After visiting my PS regarding scars 4 months after TT and Breast lift, he adminstered Steroid injections as all my scars went Keloid After a day or so the itching and discomfort subsided a little with the scars flattening a bit,going from pink to purple. I am going back in 3 weeks for follow up injections, but just the past 3 days I have notice the scars becoming slightly raised again and itching again, is this normal or should I contact my doctor to address this sooner rather than later.

Raised Itchy Scars after Tummy Tuck

+1

Raised, itchy scars after tummy tuck frequently benefit from steroid injections, particularly to ease the itching.  The itching usually subsides after 1 to 2 years, but steroid injections can help in the interim.

Raised Itchy Scars Benefit From Treatment

+1
Thank you for your quesiton. It appears that you have hypertrophic or keloid scarring. Steroid injections and silicone sheeting are helpful in managing this problem.  The raised edges and itching are a sign of scar worsening. You should call your surgeon to discuss further. Early intervention is helpful in preventing worsening. Good luck!

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Sensitive Scars?

+1

It sounds like your surgeon's approach is a sound one. I would not be alarmed by what you are experiencing. I would never, though, discourage a call to your surgeon about any post op issues. 

Kenalog is usually administered in a series of about three injections two or more weeks apart, and it is the "gold standard" for treating hypertrophic scars. 

Thanks, best wishes. 

Scars

+1

It sounds like you are in good hands and I would continue seeing your surgeon and following their recommendations

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Scars

+1

Follow your Plastic Surgeon's instructions regarding scar management.  The Kenalog he injected into the scar is done every 3 to 5 weeks as needed until the scar matures. 

Robert E. Zaworski, MD