Should I Have Hard Scar Tissue Cut from my Lip? Worried About Further Scarring. (photo)

Two months ago, I blacked out from food poisoning and bit my lower lip both inside and out and required stitches. I have now a visible scar as well as one side of my lip uneven. Below the surface, there is one big ball of scar tissue. I am very aware of the harden tissue when talking. I was referred to a plastic surgeon, who said excision was the best way to remove the tissue. However, he will cut from the front and a cause a vertical scar..He said injections would not likely break it down.

Should I Have Hard Scar Tissue Cut from my Lip? Worried About Further Scarring.

+2

Excision of some of the red lip tissue will likely improve the symmetry and appearance of your lip. You shouldn't need an incision on the white part of your lip, only the red lip. These tend to heal incredibly well. However, I recommend waiting a minimum of 6-12 months before performing surgery as the bulk and firmness of the scar tissue will improve. In the meantime, steroid injections can be very helpful and sometimes can preclude the need for surgery. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip

+1

I would not be operating on this lip right now. I would wait a period of time at least 6 months and then reevaluate the situation. Aggressive massage will help

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Time is your friend

+1

Time is your friend here, but intralesional injection of steroids will help to make this go away more quickly. I would want to make sure that you don't have a foreign body reaction here, that is, a piece of dirt or foreign substance in the lip that is aggravating the problem.

Good luck!

Christopher B. Zachary, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

Treatment for a lip scar

+1

Surgical scar revision with layered closure will help improve the lump and the contour of the lip scar.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS