Should a Person Walk After Abdominalplasty Surgery?

Walking after Tummy Tuck

+3

Yes. It is highly recommended to walk after Tummy Tuck. However, it should be done in moderation and not extensively immediately after surgery. I recommend patients get up and walk every hour for about 5 minutes.

This is done to avoid deep venous thrombosis ( a condition that causes clotting withing your leg veins) and pulmonary Embolus that can cause be dangerous and cause difficulty breathing.

Please consult with your plastic surgeon for specific recommendations.

Hope this was helpful.

Dr. Sajjadian

Walking after abdominoplasty (tummy tuck)

+2

The answer to the question about whether you should walk after abdominoplasty is yes. The follow up question is how much walking is advised. Appropriate amounts of activity can diminish swelling, improve tissue oxygenation and healing, diminish the tendency for clotting, etc. My general rule for walking (consult your surgeon) is I generally advise my patients to increase their activity on the treadmill as MPH = # weeks of recovery. For example Week 1 = 1 MPH, Week 2 =2 MPH, Week 3 = 3 MPH, etc.

Activity after a tummy tuck

+2

After a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) it is important to walk, as early as the day of the procedure.  Early movement and walking can help minimize or prevent the formation of blood clots in the legs (deep vein thrombosis-DVT).  Also, walking helps stimulate gastrointestinal activity which can prevent or minimize constipation, which is common after surgery.  You should follow your surgeon's post-surgery instructions and try not to exert yourself too much, but a little walking is advisable.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Walking Good For Recovery From Abdominoplasty

+2

Yes, walking is good after any surgery, including an abdominoplasty.  You do not want to be walking for miles on end, or trying to run a marathon, but certainly walking will get your body back in tune and feeling more normal.  It also gets your circulation moving and prevents blood clots from developing in the legs as you heal.  I would check with your surgeon, but this is generally what I recommend.  I hopethis helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Walking is Recommended after Abdominoplasty

+1
Within a few hours following surgery, abdominoplasty patients will walk in a slightly bent-over position. Strenuous activity and lifting of more than 10 pounds should be avoided for six weeks after surgery. Most patients are able to return to work and daily activities within two weeks of surgery. Walking often and frequently in my experience speeds recovery and helps with constipation and the prevention of clots in your legs (DVT)

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Post abdominoplasty activity

+1

Follow your surgeon's instructions for post abdominoplasty activity.  There are a variety of abdominoplasty techniques, and your post-surgical activity will depend on your procedure.  In general, getting up out of bed and household ambulation is recommended the day after surgery to minimize venous stasis (keep your blood circulating, thus minimizing risk of potentially deadly intravascular thrombosis).

Good Luck girl!

Steve Laverson, MD

Steve Laverson, MD

Walking after Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck)

+1

One of the most frightening complications of Tummy Tuck surgery is the development  of blood clots which can go to the lungs (Pulmonary Embolus). Failure to walk prolongs the amount of time the blood spends in the veins leading to clotting.

It is essential that you walk immediately after surgery. I ask my patients to walk for a few minutes each time a TV commercial comes on starting the night of surgery.

Dr. Aldea

Walking after Abdominoplasty

+1

If my patients are otherwise doing well and wounds are healing at a normal rate, I allow patients to begin walking at a normal pace on level surfaces after 7-10 days.  On the other hand, I do not want my TT patients to do any activities that place a strain on the abdomen for 4-6 weeks.

John Whitt, MD