Is Flash Recovery Breast Augmentation an Option Going from A to D Cup?

"Flash recovery" breast augmentation--another marketing term to describe what you want to hear!

+4

As you know from reading about this "patented" technique, careful breast pocket creation using cautery dissection rather than blunt-force dissection is what allows "Flash Recovery." I absolutely agree with the idea that careful and precise surgical technique (other plastic surgeons call this the "no-touch technique" or the "24-hour recovery breast augmentation") is going to yield less surgical trauma to the tissues, with less bruising, bleeding, and lower likelihood of capsular contracture, not to mention a more comfortable recovery!

But "Flash" as in "Faster" recovery? Compared to what? Yes, these techniques, by no means used by this young plastic surgeon alone, will result in a better and more comfortable recovery, but tissues cannot heal completely and durably any faster if the wound is made with cautery and careful technique or with a gold-plated scalpel with a diamond blade! Hey, let's patent that idea and call it the "You'll feel so good you can do too much too soon and you too can have re-operation for bleeding or capsular contracture recovery!" Shucks, too many words, I guess. But you get the idea!

Careful surgery is a good idea. So is avoidance of blunt dissection and extremely precise control of all bleeders. So is use of long-acting local anesthetic with vasoconstrictor in the breast pocket, and muscle relaxants, and anti-inflammatory medications!  But you can't speed up your metabolic healing process, and too much activity too soon will cause a higher risk of bleeding, capsular contracture, and/or re-operation to evacuate a hematoma. Please read the link below.

You would be much better off seeking a surgeon who has years of experience doing this operation using sound surgical principles, careful and precise technique, and who recommends caution and conservatism in your recovery instructions so you don't wreck your results! The rest is just marketing baloney!

Perhaps I can interest you in the Emperor's clothes?

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Once Again Surgeons Doubting Concept of Flash Recovery Breast Augmentation

+2

First off, of course I would market something this good!

Just as surgeons are warning you of being careful of marketing "gimmicks", you should also be wary of surgeons who have not performed the research on this topic and are not aware of its merits, and are quick to dismiss this as a "gimmick."  The word gimmick implies that something is dishonest, untrue, or without true merit/value.  This is NOT  a gimmick, but yes it is a clever marketing term for a procedure (actually thought of by a patient of mine) that I and several other surgeons feel is a philosophy and technique in performing breast augmentation that is predictable, has less recovery, less trauma, and theoretically less long term problems such as capsular contracture, thinning of skin, and need for revision surgery. This is ALL performed for the BENEFIT of the PATIENT.  This technique was created by my mentor who I directly trained with in Dallas, Dr. John Tebbetts, in my opinion a genius, innovative surgeon who published his results and findings on this (what he calls 24 hour or out to dinner breast augmentation) in 2002. However, not many surgeons have had the good fortune to have trained under Dr. Tebbetts, and are of course, skeptical. As some surgeons have pointed out , this is about less trauma and appropriate implant size.  It is unlikely that to go from an A cup to a D, that the principles of this technique can be followed. However, in some situations, this may be possible if you have lax tissue and your cup sizing is inaccurate. Most likely, you should not jump to such large an implant which may look OK for a year, but long term will cause nothing but problems such as thinning of your skin and needs for revision and complex reconstructions in the future.  Please do your own research as you are doing.  All surgeons that dismiss this as a "gimmick" are likely marketing something too.  However, I ask one question........Why would you NOT market or come up with a clever terminology for a procedure and philosophy that is this good for the overall benefit of the patient.  It does not hurt to have a consultation. Make sure you see several surgeons.  I have many many patients you can speak to about their experience and how they even thought at first this was to good to be true and are now believers. 

Warmest Regards

Dr Ghavami

Ashkan Ghavami, MD

Breast Implant Sizing?

+2

Be careful of marketing gimmicks and of surgeons who  rely on the marketing gimmicks. in my experience, many of the surgeons are not well experienced, ethical, and/or may not be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. It may not be obvious to the average “consumer” but surgeons who do good work generally do not have to rely on these marketing techniques.

In regards to achieving a specific breast cup size: COMMUNICATE your goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

This is pure marketing

+1

The energy and discussion created by the FLASH is remarkable.  But when distilled down to its core, it is the techniques employed by good surgeons worldwide. 

Regarding change from A to D sizing....highly improbable to be without significant discomfort and risk negative outcome.  You might reconsider a more modest augmentation for a more predicatable and safer outcome.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

"Flash recovery" breast augmentation

+1

Going from an A cup to a D cup will result in more pain and discomfort than going from an A cup to a B or C cup with a smaller implant.  Using an atraumatic technique with breast augmentation with precise pocket creation and the use of cautery dissection rather than blunt dissection will also allow for a more rapid recovery with less pain.

Andrew P. Giacobbe, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

+1

I think most surgeons who do the periareolar approach or the inframammary approach use cautery for dissection. And most surgeons who care try not to be too rough when handling the breast tissue. In my opinion this is nothing new, but more of a marketing strategy as suggested below to get patients to come in. Bottom line is you want to have a great result and I would focus on trying to find someone who will give you a great result. If you go from an A to a D under the muscle you most likely will experience some pain.

David E. Kim, MD

"Flash Recovery" and A to a D Breast Augmentation

+1

"Flash Recovery" is a clever marketing term to the post-Breast Augmentation RECOVERY that may be possible IF:
- an appropriate Breast Implant is Chosen
- The implants are placed as atraumatically as possible (using precise implant pocket creation with the cautery rather than blunt finger or blunt instrument tearing)

In my experience, A - breasted women have limited skin and challenging and stretching it with a "D implant" is incompatible with a rapid, relatively discomfort free recovery. This will be the case EVEN it the operation is conducted atrumatically.

For a GREAT, attractive breast augmentation result you MUST start with an implant best suited for YOUR body. Placing a very large implant in a small figure carries several liabilities and longer recovery is but one of them.

Good Luck.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Memphis, Tennessee

Flash recovery, early and late stages.

+1

Cautery dissection has been done for a very long time.  Even if there is little pain or bruising in the early stages, healing and the result can be adversly affected by excessive activity.  Remember, it is the scar tissue (capsule) that holds the implant in position.  Time and reduced activity allow a good result.  The surgical technique is the prelimmary step.  The activities of the care free patient can adversely affect the outcome.  A patient that feels very well, who has been told that she will heal in a "flash" can be a danger to herself.

H. Michael Roark, MD

Flash recovery

+1

the bigger your implant , the more painful your recovery.  you must realize that you are having a real operation not a "simple procedure".  give yourself some time to recover after surgery.  good luck

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Flash Recovery just as advertising idea Not new.

+1

This is from Dr Ghavami's website: The term Flash Recovery Breast Augmentation has been coined by Dr. Ashkan Ghavami and refers to a specialized technique that reduces the recovery time and pain that occur with standard breast augmentation surgery. This is based on the innovative quick recovery concepts and techniques first published by Dr. John Tebbetts. Through Dr. Tebbetts’ research, it has been shown that breast augmentation recovery can be reduced to less than 24 hours! In normal breast enhancement surgery, the surgeon typically creates room for the implant by blunt jerking and prying with very invasive instruments, or even with the fingers. Though this method is effective in creating space for the implant, it causes damage to the surrounding muscle and tissue in the chest, thereby increasing the patient’s healing time and pain after the operation. Dr. Ghavami’s method for flash recovery breast augmentation involves only the use of cautery (heat) dissection to cleanly cut sub-muscular tissue and make room for the implant. The precise heat that systematic cautery produces allows for minimal damage to surrounding tissue when creating the breast pocket, and this factor dramatically reduces the pain and recovery time after breast augmentation. In addition, Dr. Ghavami’s tasteful aesthetic judgment ensures that patients come out of the procedure with breasts that look natural and proportional to the body. A precise breast dimension and soft tissue measuring system is used to reveal the most appropriate size and shape of implant. Each patient’s results are individualized to complement unique features and body shape.

There is no new surgical concepts offered only delicate surgical techniques. But if going from a b to d cup I doubt 24 hour recovery will be enough. Just the tissue stretching will cause pain for a few days. It is better not to hurry healing.