How Old Does a Person Have to Be to Get a Breast Reduction? (30GG, Age 14)

Im 14 turning 15 in october and I already wear a size 30GG cup Im 5ft 4in and weigh 135 lbs but most of that is muscle weight because I exercise everyday and it hurts so much and my shoulder straps give me indentions and my back is always hurtin, Also does blue cross cover breast reductions?

Breast Reduction in Mid-teens

+2

I have a patient near your age that I performed a breast reduction on recently.  In order to be a good candidate at your age, your breast size should be stable (no longer increasing) and you must be mature enough to be aware of the potential risks and to do the things asked of you in order have your wounds heal satisfactorily.

Breast Reduction Candidate

+1
There is not an age limit for breast reduction surgery. It is best to wait at least 1 year from the time that your breast finishes growing. This will allow for optimal correction, and minimizes the possibility that you need a 2nd surgery soon afterwards. In addition to being a candidate, you will need to be able to have parental consent and provide informed consent (or have your parent's provide informed consent on your behalf). When you are ready, consult in person with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Juvenile Breast Reduction

+1

It sounds like you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for the frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

It sounds like you have done your homework and understand the potential risk and consultations associated with breast reduction surgery. You also understand that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).

I would suggest an in-person consultation with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

Breast Reduction in a 14 year old

+1

Blue cross Blue shield should cover you in breast reduction surgery but it may be a slow and painful process getting them to respond to your inquiry. There is also the issue of consent. .                                                                                                     

Breast reduction age requirements

+1

I am sorry that you having such problems at this age.  There is no specific age requirement. However, if you are still maturing and growing, I would wait until that stops.  Assume about 16 or 17.  However, that is the norm.  There are some individualas that have gigantomastia and still grow and and require surgery at an earlier age because the breasts are so large.

How old does a person have to be to get a breast reduction?

+1

I am sorry to hear that you are dealing with this at such a young age. Breast reduction could be a possibility. However, you definitely want to be as educated as possible and understand the risks of having this surgery at such a young age. Generally, we prefer patients to be at least 16 or at an age where growing is done or stable. It is important to weigh your options. While a reduction may get rid of some of your medical and emotional problems, you are also left with scars and the possibility of not being able to breast feed. This may not be important to you right now, but it may if you decide to have children. It is possible that you may need another surgery down the road since you are most likely not done growing, but then again you may not. These are all things to consider. Have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon and your parents and really make sure that it is something you are ready for.

As for insurance covering the procedure, this will depend on several factors. Your reduction will have to be determined medically necessary. You will need evidence to back that up for example back, neck, or shoulder pain, indentations from your bra straps, skin irritation underneath your breasts, restriction of physical activity due to the weight and size of your breasts, etc. It will also depend on the amount of breast tissue that is removed. Every insurance is different, but you can always check with your specific insurance to see what they will potentially cover. If they won't cover the procedure, depending on which procedure exactly is done, the price can range anywhere from $5,000-$8,000. This will also vary depending on which surgeon you go to and the area that you are in.
Best regards,
Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Need Both Physical and Mental Maturity For Breast Reduction

+1

For a breast reduction, you need both physical and mental maturity.  You need to have been stable at your height and breast size for at least a year, and you need to be able to fully understand the risks involved with the surgery.  Most women are not ready to undergo this until they are at least 16yo, since they can still be developing up until then.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

A breast reduction

+1

You need to go with a parent to see a boarded plastic surgeon in your area. In certain cases if you are a patient with "virginal hypertrophy" of the breasts than YES a reduction is in order at this age. But you with need a Peds clearance and an Endocrine clearance. Best of Luck from MIAMI Dr. B