Persistent Swelling Years After a Tummy Tuck?

My surgery was in 2010. I was overdosed on steroids by a doctor at 15 and went from a 0 to a 24 in pants in a 3 months which ripped my skin with stretch marks. As soon as the steroids wore off I was back to a 0 with a ton of extra skin. I had a tummy tuck because the extra skin kept getting infections. My surgical line wraps around to my mid/upper back. I exercise 6 days a week. I'm 5'4'' and weigh 125 lbs. Even after all this time my tummy tuck scars on my back painfully swell when I exercise.

Pain at Incision Line 3 years After Tummy Tuck

+1

Persistent pain at your tummy tuck incision line 3 years post-op is not normal.  I would recommend having your surgeon evaluate you to determine what is causing it.  You may have residual sutures that are irritated or a persistent inflammation to your scars.  These things might be improved with a scar revision.  Alternatively, you may have a small residual fluid collection that needs drained.  Finally, you may have a painful irritation of a nerve called a neuroma.  The first step in getting better is to schedule an appointment with your surgeon to be examined.  Best of luck.

Persistent Swelling after Tummy Tuck

+1

I would say to get an assessment by a plastic surgeon, as only an exam will be able to sort this out.  While swelling may be an issue, there may be an element of irritation of the scars.  If this is scar inflammation, you may consider scar revision or steroid injections or both.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Scarring from circumferential lift

+1

Photos would be useful to determine whether you are dealing with scar hypertrophy or an underlying issue such as chronic seroma formation. Hypertrophic scars can be treated by injection of steroids or by serial excision and re-closure.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

+1

Photos would help. Despite your description, this is hard to visualize. Is it just the scar that is swelling. 

If the scars are abnormally thick there are some remedies that you should discuss with your surgeon, and these are usually effective. Please consider posting photos. 

All the best.