Is It Safe for Me to Have a Tummy Tuck, Breast Reduction and Lift, and Full Body Lipo? (photo0

I am 26 years old and have never had kids. I am scheduled to have my surgery on Nov 8th in Bogota Colombia with Dr. Felipe Amaya. I am 5'2 and weigh about 210 lbs. I am hoping to lose another 10 lbs before I leave for surgery. Are all these procedures in one safe and am I a good candidate for these procedures? I am very scared of the process but want to know that it will be safe for me to have done.

Combination Surgery and Medical Tourism?

+1

The concern about losing more weight before surgery is only one of the issues. Most surgeons would feel that this combination of surgical procedures in a patient with your body build has significant potential safety issues if performed in 1 stage and would not do it.

In addition, having surgery at a reduced rate in a foreign country sounds appealing, but there are many concerns that you should consider. Generally, there is no preoperative direct discussion with the surgeon who is going to perform the surgery in order to establish any reasonable doctor/patient relationship. There are often language barriers that can interfere with your care. Even if your surgeon speaks English, the ancillary personnel like the nurses and the anesthesia provider who are involved in your care, may not. The quality of hospitals outside of the U.S. varies tremendously. Some are accredited and inspected, others are not. Even if the hospital has reasonable facilities and the surgeon has training, which may not be up to the quality of training of a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, the quality of the nurses and others involved in your care may be very different from that in the United States. They may have little or no formal medical education, training or credentialing.

There is usually little follow-up care. In addition, the general sanitary conditions often increase the risk of infections, including some that are generally rare in this country.
There are major potential problems that may occur with traveling long distances just before and after surgery, like dehydration and fatigue, but more importantly complications including clots in the legs called deep venous thrombosis and clots to the lung which may be life threatening.

In most countries, if a problem develops, you will have little legal recourse and no ability to file a complaint either against the hospital or about the surgeon. If complications
develop after you return home, it may be difficult or impossible to obtain care from your local physicians. If problems do occur, the cost of subsequent care can be far greater than the reduced cost of the original surgery. While there are well-trained physicians in many other countries, I would suggest that you travel for pleasure or business and have your surgery closer to home.

Robert Singer, MDFACS

La Jolla, California

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

I would n't do it!

+1

I think you need to reconsider this and lose more weight before doing any surgery. Liposuction is NOT a weightloss procedure nor shortcut for it! You should establish a reasonable target weight before proceeding and may not need liposuction. Your current weight makes you a higher risk for complications. You also need to verify that your surgeon and the facility are safe and certified!

Michael S. Beckenstein, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Is It Safe for Me to Have a Tummy Tuck, Breast Reduction and Lift, and Full Body Lipo?

+1

That is probably too much surgery at one time. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of mommy makeovers each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Safety is the Issue

+1

Mabglitter,

The fact that you put this question on the internet for American Plastic Surgeons to answer means to me that you are definitely not in the right frame of mind to go to a foreign country and have a total body overhaul by what kind of physician in what type of facility etc etc etc. None of us know what your physical condition is, nor where, how and with whom you are having surgery. The other physicians all have misgivings about this and rightfully so. My question to you is what is the motivating reason to go so far away? I can only imagine its money and as one of the surgeons has mentioned "what is your life worth.?" Better to do less surgery in stages, that you can afford close to home than really push the envelope and put your self at risk in a foreign country. Some people think cosmetic surgical procedures aren't "real surgeries" and have less risks. The opposite is true as these are much more extensive and lengthy procedures. Rethink your position, NOW!!!!

William Aiello, MD

Newport Beach CA

William Aiello, MD

+1

Possibly but that is a good amount of surgery. Plan on having all the parts of the planned operation and "hope" these surgeons know to stop if blood loss over acceptable amounts. Out of country surgeries have very high complication rates and you have NO support system like here in USA. What is your life worth? a few dollars to proceed with a questionable large surgery in a foreign third world country? Maybe you need a wake up call! PLEASE be safe.

Is there such a thing as too much surgery at one setting?

+1

I have a few concerns, most of which have already been expressed by other doctors on this site.  If you have areas of fat deposition that can't be gotten rid of through weight loss, then liposuction is a good idea. Your current height and weight calculate out to a BMI of 38. This puts you in class 2 obesity, and close to the morbidly obese category. I would advise you to lose weight.  Having  everything done that you describe and then getting on a long plane ride to the USA  would put you at risk for blood clots in your legs, which can break off and go to your lungs, and this can be lethal.  As stated by the other surgeons, if you have a complication after you return home, who is going to take care of you? This is only an opinion by a doctor who has not seen or examined you, but my opinion would be not to do what you are considering doing.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

+1

Three answers for you. 1- no it is not safe.  2- no good plastic surgeon would consider doing a cosmetic abdominoplasty at your current BMI. 3- If you proceed with your plans make sure you have adequate funds set aside should you have complications that need care after your return to Ohio. Surgical fees include all post op care. If you go to a surgeon who did not do the surgery and need care of complications it will certainly cost more than you paid for your original surgery. The potential complications of your planned surgery can be life threatening.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Cosmetic Surgery- Medical Tourism

+1

Even if you were having this done by a board certified plastic surgeon, I would be nervous about doing all that at once. Doing this outside of the country (presumably for lower costs, which is an understandable incentive) raises the risks dramatically. Google "cosmetic medical tourism". How long will you be staying in Bogota? Who will help you if you have issues or problems once you are back home? This aggressive single stage approach, done so far away, is a set up for a horror story. If safety is a big concern of yours, you are taking the wrong approach.

Matthew Concannon MD

Matthew Concannon, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Multiple operations at one time

+1

Thank you for asking about the safety of a tummy tuck, breast reduction and full body liposuction - in another country.

1. Tummy tucks are not often needed in women who have not had children,
  2. A breast reduction with lift seems appropriate,
  3. A large volume liposuction has significant risks. More weight loss is safer.
  4. No one can judge the safety of your plan without knowing the surgeon, the anesthesia, your health and examination.
  5. It is always riskier to have surgery in another country. I do not recommend it.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Safety of multiple procedures.

+1

I note you are from Ohio and you are traveling to Columbia for your surgery.  You are asking for a number of surgeries which CAN be done at a single setting but by doing so will raise your risk of complications and a prolonged recovery.  Who will care you should any problems occur?  Will you be willing to fly back to Columbia to care for those possible problems?  Your safety should be paramount and I think this is putting your safety at risk.  There are numerous highly qualified, board certified, plastic surgeons within 50 miles of where you live.  Please see one of them for a safer surgical opportunity.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD