Is It Permissive or Required to Fix More Than Just a Bump on my Nose?

I visited a ENT/plastic surgeon for a bump on the top of the bridge of my nose. Personally, I love how my nose looks from the front, the tip of my nose, and length & width of my nose. I only don't like my side profile. However, the doctor stated you can't just change one part of the nose, because it affects other parts of the nose and just removing the bump would flatten my nose. Thus, he recommended to insert cartilage, narrow the bridge of my nose, and reduce my tip. Is all this necessary?

Rhinoplasty issues

+1

Rhinoplasty can require many different steps to achieve an aesthetically pleasing result.  It may only require the dorsum to be adjusted, but it may require other things that you do not appreciate. An exam in person is appropriate.

Fixing Just the Bump on my Nose

+1

You can remove the bump without changing other parts of the nose. However you do want a proportional nose when the surgery is completed. You may want to get a second opinion from an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

Rhinoplasty To Fix A Nasal Dorsal Hump

+1

Dear LadyLaw,

Without photographs and physical examination, it is hard to give you a solid opinion about what should be addressed in your nose.

Nonetheless, the important condition that should be satisfied is to keep natural looking facial components. Your current facial features dictate what fits you best.

I recommend that you seek consultation with a board certified surgeon of extensive experience in Rhinoplasty who will assess your nose and face to give you the right information so you can come up with a well informed decision.

Thank you for your question and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Fixin' the Nose

+1

Well, "yes and no" is the correct answer.  Perhaps your Head & Neck - Facial Cosmetic Surgeon sees some things that does require a balanced approach.  Additionally, just removing your nasal dorsal hump could leave you with an Open Roof Deformity.  Therefore, council closely with another Facial Cosmetic Surgeon and see if the two opinions are similar.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty to ONLY remove the bump.

+1

Yes this can be done without doing the tip etc.  If the bump is large the bones may need to be broken to recreate the two bones touching. 

Rhinoplasty

+1

It is impossible to advise without photos. In many cases a rasping of the dorsal bump may be sufficient correction. There are also those cases where a patient may truly believe that the elimination of the bump will make them happy and this is not necessarily so. It is advised to consult with a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon and do as he or she advises. Look at their before and after photos and if you like the end result schedule your procedure with that surgeon.

David Alessi, MD

Rhinoplasty

+1

You can fix various areas of the nose while leaving other areas untouched. If its not broken ,don't fix it. Photos are always useful in the evaluation of any nose but if you are happy with specific areas of your nose I would recommend you and your surgeon focus on the areas you want to improve.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Requirements for rhinoplasty

+1

While dogma states that removing a hump could leave you with a wide bridge, and or potentially weak side walls, and these issues must be addressed with osteotomies and spreader grafts, there are variations. Some patients may not need either. That also applies to the tip. An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon, should be able to make that decision.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bump on my nose

+1

Sometimes it is very possible to just rasp down a small bump on the dorsum of the nose without performing osteotomies (bone breaking).  It is impossible to tell without seeing photos and examining you.  If there are aspects of your nose that you like, don't let anyone talk you into letting them be altered.  Be very clear about what you do like as well as what you do not like regarding the appearance of your nose when you have a consultation.  I would get at least one other opinion from a reputable, board certified plastic surgeon. 

Jeffrey E. Kyllo, MD