Permanently Inflamed Turbinate?

Recently I was diagnosed as having an inflamed turbinate on my left side only. Prior to this I also had difficulty with my right nostril, though that cleared up. I have been taking the nasal spray, but it doesn't seem to be helping. The first day I took it, it helped somewhat, but I snorted instead of "breathing in gently" that time. It's been a few days on the nasal spray and I am concerned about having an unexplained turbinate inflammation that doesn't go away, as I have read about online.

Chronic turbinate enlargement treatment

+1

It isn't unusual to have chronic turbinate enlargement that hinders nasal airflow. Steroid nose sprays are typically started to try to reduce any turbinate inflammation. This can take a month or so to really start working so you need to be patient.

An examination by an otolaryngologist (ENT) or facial plastic surgeon well versed in functional nasal problems could be considered if the nasal spray doesn't improve your symptoms. It may be possible to improve your breathing with a turbinate reduction procedure.

Check out my link below to learn more about turbinate reduction surgery.

Turbinate Surgery

+1

Dear Weaverman,

A direct examination looking inside your nose will help with a proper diagnosis. You may have a partially deviated septum and inflamed turbinates. A septoplasty and turbinate reduction may be needed to properly restore your breathing capacity. A consultation and examination by a nose specialist will provide the answers to your questions. You will need to see a surgeon who has good knowledge of the functional aspects of nasal anatomy. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD