Is There a Way to Get Rid of Eye Bags Permanently?

I'm 30 years old and have had lower eye bags for as long as I can remember. The bags are present all the time even when I smile/squint. In the mornings when I wake up they look just horrible. But like I said I always have them.

I've had Restylane injections before, but they didn't last long and alleviated this condition a little bit. Please help me and tell me what to do. I'm really sick and tired of them. Thank you!

Permanent solution for eye bags

+1

Dear Shadi,

Lower eyelid bags that occur in younger individuals such as yourself is almost always genetic though infrequently fat protrusion as a result of weakening of the orbital septum (the structure that holds the fat back around the eye) can also occur. The fat around the eye has nothing to do with weight gain or weight loss.

The fact that Restylane helped you temporarily suggests that a permanent correction is possible. Tightening the skin with lasers, peels, or other forms of energy doesn't help the eyelid bags. Your options include either "masking" the bags by injecting a thin material such as Restylane around the puffiness and doing this on a semi-annual basis or smoothing the eyelid to cheek transition by removing or transposing the fat. In my practice, younger patients undergo a transconjunctival lower eyelid blepharoplasty with fat transposition. This entails making an incision behind the eyelid (no external scar) followed by mobilizing the fat and then 'moving' or transposing it to the hollow area below the puffiness allowing a smooth lid to cheek transition.

Patients are very happy with this 45 minute to 1 hour procedure that can be done under local anesthesia though I feel most individuals do best during the procedure with a mild amount of sedation to keep them comfortable.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes!

+1

Dear Shadi,

Fat that normally rests around the eye is contained behind a wall called the orbital septum. As one ages, this wall can weaken and the fat can bulge forward . Having lower eye bags at your age is usually an inherited trait, not from aging. Some people are born with more fat than others and this can lead to more prominent bags as well.

The simplest procedure to essentially have permanent correction of this is to remove some of the fat from the lower lids. A more technically challenging operation, (one that I personally prefer), is not to remove the fat but to move it. This is called lower lid fat transpostion. This preserves the fat and prevents a hollowed look to the eye that can happen as one gets older. For both procedures, the incision is inside the eyelid and thus not visible.

Ask a board certified plastic or oculoplastic surgeon which procedure would be right for you.

Leslie H. Stevens, MD