Permanent Teatment for Malar Bags?

Male, 33. I've always had malar bags and I am wondering what permanent treatments might be available to reduce their appearance. Of course, the less invasive the better. I am particularly interested in laser if it is effective. What kind of doctor should I see? I live in Orlando, FL. Thank you.

update: 04/26/2012
Hello Doctors, I have always had what I believe are malar bags (festoons). They make me look sleep-deprived/tired etc. Could you please let me know what the options are for fixing them, and the approximate cost, and what the specialist is called? I am male, 33, and I do not wish to have a scar on my face. Is there are way to excise them from inside the eyelid? Thank you.

Permanent Teatment for Malar Bags?

+1

Festoons would be unusual at your age. However, they are very difficult to treat. Laser resurfacing can be beneficial but direct excision which leaves a fine scar on the cheek is most effective. Filler treatments can be performed but patients typically require so much filler volume that it can distort the cheek. I would recommend an in person consultation with a facial surgery specialist (Facial Plastic Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon) for further information. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Malar bags and how to treat them

+1

I definitely don't think that midface lifts or lower eyelid lifts are the way to go. They can be unnatural and the risks are high. I like filling for malar bags. Direct excision can be considered but are inferior given the external excision. Filling is the much preferred approach over face lifting.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon