Can I Have Permanent Swelling from Liposculpture?

I had Liposculpture about 8-10 weeks ago and I still feel tight and swollen. In fact the only time I look flat and don't feel tightness is after wearing compression garments over night. Other wise I am swollen, and tight and numb in places. And I hate the look. Is it possible the procedure did not work and I could have permanent swellen?

Permanent Swelling from Liposculpture?

+1

Thank you for your question. Liposuction can remain swollen for up to 6 months, and maybe up to 8 or 9 in some individuals. Permanent, I have not seen any swelling beyond 12 months. Swelling beyond a year is likely due to some o I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Compression after liposuction

+1

Compression usually helps resolve swelling after liposuction.  The amount of swelling depends on the severity of liposuction aspiration and the amount of postoperative compression. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

8 to 10 Weeks after Liposuction and Swelling, Tightness, and Numbness

+1

8 to 10 Weeks after liposuction there is frequently Swelling, Tightness, and Numbness.  This should improve over 3 to 6 months.  Kenneth Hughes, MD liposculpture Los Angeles, CA

Swelling after liposuction

+1

Swelling after liposuction usually gets better with time, but this may take several months.  Good luck.

Swelling After Liposculpture

+1

Swelling after liposuction can last up to six months.  However, the swelling with tumescent liposculpture is usually much less severe due to the tiny cannulas and gentler process than with regular liposuction.  Most of our patients only wear a compression garment for 1 week and then switch to a Spanx or similar lightweight garment for one month.  Then there‚Äôs just a little swelling and firmness that diminishes slowly for a few months.  I suspect you had the larger cannulas because of the degree of swelling at this point.  You really need to check with your doctor and see what is normal for the procedure that you had.   Without knowing for sure, I suspect your swelling is normal.  You just need to wait a while longer, get some good exercise like walking to help with circulation, and wait it out.

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposculpture and post operative swelling

+1

It is not unusual to have continued swelling even 8 to 10 weeks following liposculpture.  This swelling will eventually subside, however it may take several more weeks.  Continue to wear your compression garment as this will help speed the process.  Also watch your salt intake as this can prolong swelling.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Can liposculpture cause permanent swelling?

+1

Liposculpture is traumatic and causes serious swelling.  I always counsel my patients that they will need to wait 6 to 12 months for all the swelling to resolve!  While it is possible to develop permanent swelling (we call that persistent edema), it is FAR too early to tell if that will be the case for you.  The fact that your garment reduces the swelling is an excellent sign that your body will slowly absorb this extra fluid.  Keep wearing your garment and be patient.  Your best results are still ahead of you!

Andrew Jimerson, MD

Swelling after Liposculpture

+1

I think this is an indication of good result since that's how you should feel 8 weeks after fat transfer.It has to be over filled since lot of it body is going to reabsorb and then perhaps you may not be happy with the result.Have patience and I am sure doctor has done a good job for you

Professor Dr.Ashok Govila ,Dubai

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon