Permanent Nerve Damage at Hip and Thigh from Tummy Tuck?

Reposting this because I named the wrong nerve in my previous post. I am 1 1/2 yrs out from abdominoplasty to repair upper hernia post pregnancy and was to have minor lipo to flanks only. However had poor outcome and was just confirmed by neurologist to have damage to femoral nerve. Not sure if damage is from overdone lipo at hip or abdominoplasty. How might this affect need for extensive repairs??

What are your symptoms

+2

Hello Megan,

Please post what your symptoms are since the femoral nerve is the main nerve to the leg and it is located deep. Extensive damage to this nerve would be difficult during liposuction or and abdominoplasty and would result in your leg essentially not being functional.  I am wondering if you are referring to the sensory branch of that nerve that supplies sensation to the front part of the thigh.  That nerve can on be affected by a tummy tuck if the incision is placed very low and the sutures are placed very deep during closure.

Dr Repta

Nerve Damage after Tummy Tuck and Lipo

+1

The most likely injured is likely the femoral branch of the genitofemoral nerve, this is a sensory nerve to the anterior thigh. Abdominoplasty will give you sensory deficits in the midsection that will recover over time. All nerves in the sensory location are at risk for liposuction, but most of these will recover with time. What extensive repairs are you referring to? Are you having any of your previous surgeries revised? If this nerve is not functioning, it will not be affected with any revisional surgery. I hope I have been helpful.

Charles Virden, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Nerve damage after abdominoplasty

+1

I agree with the other remarks that damage to the Femoral Nerve would be most unlikely.  It is very deep under the buttock muscles and then down the back of the thigh.

It controls the motion of the leg

More information is needed