Recommendations for Fixing Bad Permanent Makeup Eyebrows?

I had my eyebrows tattooed today and I am not happy with the result. Can I have it removed and how long do I have to wait? Can I then re-tattoo over the area again?

Fixing Permanent Makeup

+3
Most board-certified dermatologists or plastic surgeons would recommend waiting 6-8 weeks before having your eyebrow tattoo lasered with one of the tattoo lasers out there. In addition, you must proceed with caution – you need to make sure the treating physician and their office understand that in this area, a test spot is recommended to make sure there is not an inappropriate darkening of the area. This can happen with permanent cosmetics used by some tattoo artists or permanent make-up artists in this area, and you would not want this to occur over theentire area.

So we know you want to go fast, but go slow, be patient and have it taken off in the most appropriate manner.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Yes, permanent tattooed eyebrows can be fixed!

+3

Using a Q-Switch laser, you can greatly fade and remove tattoos or permanently tattooed eyebrows. Depending on the color and depth of the tattoo, most patients have at least 8 treatments, with each one being 6 weeks apart. 

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Unwanted Tattoo?

+3

The Q-switched YAG laser is ideal for removing unwanted tattos although it may take 3 to 6 sessions to get a satisfactory clearance. If the power is chosen well, there is very low risk of scarring. I will wait at least 2 months between sessions to allow the skin to recover before the next laser treatment. A word of caution regarding cosmetic makeup errors that have been covered up by subsequent tattoos of different colors. The laser may bring out new funny colors that may be hard to camoflage. Finally, the Q-switched YAG does not have satisfactory results with sky blue or green pigmented tattoos.

Randy Wong, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Permanent makeup problems

+3

Thanks for your question -

Laser, dermabrasion or excision can help to fix permanent makeup that you don't like.  Be sure to give the tattooing adequate time to heal (probably about 3 months) and find a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist to help.

Good luck!

Steven H. Williams, MD

What is the real problem?

+2

What don't you like? Is it shape, position, color, or just the appearance?

Another name for tattoo is PERMANENT COSMETICS. Therefore, removing the tattoo is not easy. It is much easier to do a touch up. I would not recommend doing anything at all at this time, as you need to let things settle, and you need to adjust to it. In about a month or so, if you are not happy, talk to the tattoo artist and get her suggestions.

Scott E. Kasden, MD