Permanent Lip Augmentation in Only One Lip? (photo)

I am very interested in getting permanent lip augmentation, specifically Permalip or Alloderm implants. I love the way my lips look after having Juvederm or Restylane, however, it is too expensive to upkeep and the results simply don't last as long as promised. I really dislike the fake duck lips look though, and only wish to have my upper lip slightly augmented to match my lower lip. Would surgeons typically honor this, or is it necessary to have implants in both lips? I have attached a photo.

Silicone and Permalip: Lip Disasters

+2

Until recently, the effects of all injectable filling agents were temporary and very rarely associated with permanent problems. In the past, the permanent injectable silicone had been used but had been so problematic that the Justice Department filed injunctions against certain physicians on behalf of the FDA.  PermaLip™ is a patented, CE marked device designed exclusively for the lip and has undergone extensive clinical testing to ensure its safety and efficacy. PermaLip™ is made of a soft, solid silicone elastomer using an injection molding process. The implant cannot rupture or deflate, and may be removed at any time. In regard to injectable silicone it almost always creates an unnatural look. Silicone  continues to cause the formation of scar formation and an abnormal lip and almost always has to  dealt with later in life. The solid elastomer referred to above almost always creates an abnormal appearance of the lip too. Please avoid both. I have found Juvederm when properly implanted can give correction for 8-12months. Furthermore, remember for proper appearance lip augmentation it  must be combined with restoration of the lower 1/3 of the face.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip augmentation

+1

Permanent lip enlargement can be done with several different implants such as PermaLip. I have had good success with Advanta which comes it different sizes as well as shapes. I often just enlarge one lip. This can usually be done in the office under a local anesthetic.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Permanent Lips Augmentation

+1

Thank you for including photographs with your question.  It makes having a meaningful discussion about your question a little more realistic. 

As you can see there are many options for permanent lip augmentation.  The wide range of opinions typically suggests that there is no single best option, but rather a variety of options that can be tailored to meet your specific needs. 

My personal feeling is that injectable silicone offers the best option for natural and artistic lip augmentation.  Si 1000 is FDA approved to use in the back of the eye for retinal tamponade and retinal detachment.  It is reasonable to assume that if it is safe to use in the eye it would be safe to use in the lips as well.  As with everything, inexperienced providers can lead bad outcomes and unhappy patients.  It is important to research your provider, examine their credentials, and view before and after portfolios. 

Alloderm, fat, SMAS (muscle), and implants can only be placed into position rather then being sculpted.  These are reasonable alternatives but have limitations as well.

Hope this helps.

Christopher Kolstad, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip augmentation

+1

I suggest, based on your photos, that you consider a strip of dermal fat grafted into only the upper lip.  This is a simple office procedure that lasts longer than the injectables, and gives fewer problems than the synthetic implants.  Your lower lip is fine.  Thanks for the photos.

Randy Wong, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Permanent lip augmentation

+1

First I would avoid the synthetic products like permalip. They can be palpable and extrude.  Second I definitely would avoid free silicone injections.  I have seen too many of these gone wrong. Too much fill, migration, and inflammatory responses, and fibrosis to name a few. In addition, it is almost impossible to remove.

Permanent Lip Augmentation in Only One Lip?

+1

I have performed many Lip Augmentations for over 22 years and have done may using Alloderm Lip Implants.  I was the senior author and Plastic Surgeon performing the Lip Augmentations for a scientific paper on the merits of various Lip Augmentation techniques.  The conclusion of that paper was that Alloderm was the best method of augmenting the lips. 

Having said that, Alloderm remains the primary method for me to augment lips but it is not permanent.  Alloderm lasts about 7 years.  Permalip implants are soft, solid silicone and as such have to placed within the body of the lip muscle itself or it will become evident and even erode through the red portion of the lip.  Alloderm, on the other hand, is soft and supple enough to be placed just below the red portion of the lip.  This has two advantages:

1. All of the augmentation is in front where it makes the lip naturally full.
  2. Because the Alloderm lip implant is above the lip muscle, not inside the muscle layers, it is not prone to moving and shifting from the muscle contracting.

Aesthetically speaking the upper lip should have the proper portion or size when compared to the lower lip which is mentioned in my book on beauty and how it's created.  In your case, the upper lip is thin relative to the lower, so augmenting the upper lip with Alloderm would make the lips more naturally attractive and balanced.  

The procedure takes about 20 minutes and can be done under a local without anesthesia.  Hope this helps.

Silicone Excellent for Permanent Lip Augmentation

+1

Liquid injectable silicone is an excellent permanent solution for lip augmentation.  It is the filler we use mostly in our practice.  Not only is it permanent and very precise, but it gives very soft and natural-appearing results.  We often only inject certain parts of the lips or either the top or bottom depending on the patient's goals and current lip anatomy.  I recommend you consult with a board-certified dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon for treatment options. Click on the link below to view photos of before and afters of lips treated with silicone.

Channing R. Barnett, MD

Many patients only need 1 lip augmented.

+1

Often patients only get 1 lip enhanced and it is most commonly the upper lip.  There are 3 types of permanent lip implants that are available that look great and natural and they are done under local anesthesia in about 20 min for between $1500-2000. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Permanent lip augmentation

+1

I have found the Perma Facial Implant (known as PermaLip in Europe) to be a very effective method for performing permanent lip augmentation.  The device comes in different thicknesses, and the size selected should be based upon your starting lip size and desired result.  It is perfectly acceptable to only augment the upper lip, if you are happy with the present size of your lower lip.

I would recommend consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon experienced in the procedure, who will be able to advise you if the procedure is appropriate for you and if it will achieve the result you desire.

Good luck.

Craig S. Rock, MD

Lip augmentation for shape.

+1

Lip augmentation for shape permanently can be done with either that you describe but I prefer fat augmentation which gives a permanent result and looks and feels more natural. I do not make "duck lips" but rather natural and I have used this for 35 years without and infection.