Permanent Indentations from Liposuction Compression Garment?

I had Liposuction 3 weeks ago on my inner and outer thighs. Since the surgery, I have been wearing a compression garment (stage 1) at all times, as instructed. Today, I chose not to wear the compression garment, but instead wore compression pantyhose. Then tonight while changing, I noticed that I have indentations running vertically along my inner thighs where the compression garment seams have been resting. It seems strange that they are still there after wearing the pantyhose all day. Is it possible that I have permanent indentations from the compression garment seams? What should I do?

Massage and See Your Dr.

+2

Compression garment use can cause permanent indentations. Patients should let their Dr. know if this is happening. It is best to always check for areas of indentation and adjust the garments and perhaps change the garment or add padding.

Sometimes external ultrasound treatments(Dermawave) can help smooth these out. Don't panic because it is still early in your healing and things will change as time goes on. But let your Dr. Know.

Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Compression garments not needed after liposuction.

+1

Hi.

My advice is don't worry. The indentations will probably soften with time. But this is one of the reasons we have stopped garments for most liposuction patients.  Short term problems and no long term advantages.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Indentations From Garment After Liposuction

+1

Compression garments are very important after liposuction surgery to help with swelling and bruising. However, the garments need to fit well and also provide smooth compression. If your garments are too tight and compresses in one area, there is a chance the indentations to become permanent. If you notice this happening in the early period, you will want to switch to a different garment like spanks, bicycle shorts, or even pantyhose. Massaging will help smooth out the area. External ultrasound can also help.

T.Y. Steven Ip, MD, FACS