Permanent Fillers in the Future?

Hello I have had cheek implants (goretex) in the past, i had two operations due to assymetry with no success, unfortunatly Goretex is hard to remove. Right now im having Radiesse injections to even them out. Im hoping that someday soon a new filler with the same texture as Radiesse would become a permanent solution to this small mess I led myself into. Do you think there will be a filler like this within the next few years? Thank you :)

Gore-tex

+1

An experienced Plastic Surgeon should be able to safely remove the goretex implant.  Goretex was originally used in various surgical procedures because  it was well tolerated by the body and did not integrate with the surrounding tissue.   I have removed several goretex implants over the years, more commonly in the abdomen, as it was used for hernia repair for some time, and in the lips.  So there is no reason to be trying to camouflage this when you can start with a clean slate.  After removing the implants, I would recommend fat grafting.  Fat is a stable filler.  While some fat is lost in the transfer process, in the right hands 40-60% stays behind permanently.  I am always concerned about artificial permanent fillers.  Time and time again, something comes to the market and we learn a few years later that the substance is causing long term problems. 

Permanent fillers for the future

+1

There are two other fillers that are currently FDA approved that would give you longer lasting results than Radiesse.  Results after treatments with Scultpra can last 2-4 years, and results with Artefill treatments can last indefinitely.  There may be other filler options in the future.    

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon