What's a More Permanent Filler Than Restylane?

I've used Restylane on my lips and disappointed it lasted 2 months. I won't use it again. What could I use that wouldn't be absorbed so quickly?

Try Juvederm Ultra

+3

Perlane is a thicker Restylane and might be used but your lip might not need a thick product. Longer term fillers have greater risks of lumps and bumps, some could even be permanent, such as Silicone. You have to be very concerned about using a long lasting filler in the lip in case you don’t like the result! You should try Juvederm Ultra, and although it is a hyaluronic acid, similar to Restylane, it may react differently in your body and last a little longer.

Restylane and duration of effect

+2

It is important that your dermatologist explain prior to any injection the duration normally expected with Restylane. Typically, it is 6-8 mos in the nasolabial folds and commonly it is only 2 months in the lip lines. This is not unusual in my experience. Other fillers such as Juvederm may last a few months longer. Other options though not for the lips but for longer duration include Sculptra.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation

+2

You may want to try Juvederm as your HA injectable of choice.  The other options are perlane and radiesse which both last longer than restylane but they are too thick to place into the lip.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Lip Augmentation, What is the Best Long Term Filler?

+2

Hi Tortilla,

The thicker form of Restylane may last longer, but because of your previous experience you might consider trying Juvederm Ultra Plus. A new hyaluronic acid filler with lidocaine, Hydrelle, has been used off label in lips, but it's too early to recommend.

The problem with other fillers that may last longer in the lips is that there is the potential for severe long term problems including lumps, bumps, granulomas, and nasty infections, all of which are most difficult to remedy.

Evolence should not be used in the lips because of lumps.

Tortilla, if you put "diablo hot" Hot Sauce on your next tortilla, that should plump up your lips a little, but I'm not sure for how long.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Fillers for lips

+2

Juvederm may work better for you and last longer. Unfortunately, there aren't many choices for lip enhancement and augmentation off the shelf. If you're considering surgery, fat grafting or Alloderm may offer better long term results, but this requires an operation. Also, the fat and Alloderm may also decrease over time so be aware of this before jumping into an operation. Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Restylane loss in the lips at 2 months

+2

There are longer lasting and permanent fillers used off label, but I'd not recommend you "go there". Permanent fillers mean just that, so if you don't like the look, what will you do? The longer term fillers tend to be too dense for the lip and could form very displeasing lumps or granulomas.

Restylane and Juvederm are both widely used for Lip Augmentation, as well as Perlane in some instances. All the hyaluronic acid gels can be removed simply, but the other fillers can not.

Restylane products pull a lot of water from the tissue. That's why you will get the initial bigger swelling. Some patients really like the initial effects, but once the product balances with the water content in your tissue, you'll see the final intended results.

Because of lip muscle activity, and sometimes chemistry, injections in the lip don't seem to last as long as those in other areas. Still, you must think of safety and the avoidance of long term or permanent problems and not let the idea of making the augmentation last longer outweigh common sense.

I will admit that some people who have gotten silicone have had nice results. The problem with silicone is that it is not at this time FDA approved for any cosmetic purpose, so it's actually not even a cosmetic off label use.

Silicone works by inciting new collagen formation. The silicone oil stays in the tissue permanently. The larger unknown is your own tissue response. Each person responds uniquely - some more and some less. This is why it is injected in microdroplets over time instead of all at once. A hyper response could distort your lips if too much is used at once. So please be careful. You've probably seen some of the celebrity disasters with misshapen faces and lips.

Stay on the safe side. If a 2nd attempt doesn't last any longer, you can investigate fat transfer. And there are other products in clinical studies that are designed for longer term lip augmentation.

In the meantime, stay well-hydrated. Dehydration is an enemy to your skin and that includes your lips. Carmex in the jar will keep your lips smoother and a nice hydrating lip gloss will make them appear a little bigger.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm may last longer

+2

Juvederm, especially the ultra plus variety is a more heavily cross-linked hyaluronic acid product than Restylane and may last longer in the lips.  You will never know, however, unless you try it.  For safety reasons, I would stick with hyaluronic acid products in the lips at this time.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Lip fillers

+1

While restylane is a good hyaluronic acid filler for the lips, there are others that last longer. Perlane and juvederm ultraplus will definitely last more than 2 months in the lip.  

Permanent Filler for Lips

+1

Silicon can be used as a permanent filler for lips.

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND IT THOUGH.

Restylane and Juvederm are the safest to use in the lips. They should last for 4 to 6 months. I am not sure why yours lasted only 2 months.

I would try either of these two again. Other fillers are not suitable for lips.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Long lasting injectable fillers for facial rejuvenation

+1

As others have already stated, Juvederm or Evolence are a good alternatives for longer lasting results for possible lip augmentation or wrinkle reduction. These fillers may last several months, potentially up to one year.

Don't forget fat injections. Fat has the potential of long-lasting permanent facial rejuvenation. Fat is obtained from your abdomen, purified, then injected into areas which need enhancement.

Speak with a cosmetic specialist to see what alternatives are available for filler.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon