Permanent Discoloration After Asian Double Eyelid Surgery - is This Common?

I have heard that some people experience discolouration of the eyelids after asian double eyelid surgery. Although almost all online sources say that this disappears after a week or so, I have heard stories where this discolouration persisted. Is this persistant discolouration permanent or will it resolve slowly? Is this common with full incisional eyelid surgery?

Discoloration after eyelid surgery

+1

There is some bruising and swelling that occurs after any type of surgery. If severe bruising occurs, there can be an extended period of time when hemosiderin pigment is deposited in the skin from the blood. This is in relation to iron pigment from red blood cells, which leaves a dark brownish tone to the skin. This can take over six months to settle down and go away. It has always been temporary.

Reactive pigmentation after Asian eyelid surgery

+1

Depending on your skin type and other variables such as the type of sutures used, your immune response, and surgeon's technique, reactive pigmentation after surgery can result in discoloration of the healing incision.  Permanent discoloration is rare, but usually resolves as the inflammation of healing resolves.  This commonly settles quickly in my experience, but can persist for weeks or months in some patients.  The key is to limit the surgical trauma with gentle handling of tissues to minimize reactive inflammation as much as possible.  If you do see early unwanted pigmentation, avoid direct sunlight and work with your plastic surgeon to avoid any further inflammatory stimulation.  There are some products available to help with pigment lightening, but should be used with caution in the early healing phase.

Randy Wong, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon