I got a permanent crown today and I have pain and sensitivity (no root canal done)- how long will this last?

One of my molars cuspids was fractured. No pain at all. The dentist reshaped the molar and installed a temporary crown. At the beginning okay, after 2 weeks sensitivity and pain. Took Ibuprofen. Today I got the permanent crown and I asked for a temporary cement. Still in pain and less sensitivity. How much it can last or will I need a root canal? I didn't have pain at all before the crown.

+1
Most of the time the sensitivity will resolve within a few days to few weeks.  However, if the tooth experienced too much irritation from the original cavity or breakage, a root canal might be necessary.  If the tooth has a deep fracture, which is oftentimes not easily detectible, then the tooth might need to be removed and a dental implant or fixed porcelain bridge placed.
The fact that you had no pain before the tooth fractured, or during the temporary stage, may have no bearing whatsoever on why you are finally having pain today other than the fact that more treatment was necessary after your cusp fractured.
Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist