Should I get permanent crown even though I cannot bite on tooth? Is extraction inevitable?

I had a filling, then temp crown, then root canal and still have pain when biting on the tooth. My dentist wants to go forward with a permanent crown. I've read if there is still pain, it's most likely a fracture and extraction inevitable. Should I try the permanent crown first?

Getting a permanent crown over a soar tooth

+2
Hello Bennie,
In my expert opinion I don't think you should set the permanent crown just yet! You could try and get another root canal and leave it with a temporary that its not in occlusion.
That way that tooth would not be in contact with adjacent teeth. Remember that when a root canal is done, the only conduct that is removed it's the primary one, but there are other pulp conducts involved, so these can be inflamed; also, after 1 month there should be no pain. If not there is a chance of re doing the root canal.

Mexico Cosmetic Dentist

+1

Your dentist is the best one to answer this question, as he has ACTUALLY examined your tooth. As far as pain with biting, don't forget that your tooth isn't full supported and won't be until you get a crown on it. A root canal tooth is a weaker tooth anyway, and won't be stronger until a strengthening restoration is placed. Also, sometimes it takes a while for a tooth that has had a root canal to settle down. I would recommend the permanent crown, as that is your best answer to keeping your tooth. If you lose it, then you would need a dental implant or bridge.....keeping your own tooth, especially after you have already invested in the root canal, would be less costly than the extraction and implant or bridge.

Norman Huefner, DDS
Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist

Crown after a root canal

+1

It is normal in some cases to have pain on biting after a root canal treatment, but it should be subsiding over time. Assuming that your tooth looks healthy in the mouth and on x-rays but continues to hurt on biting, there might be a crack and depending on where it is in your tooth a definitive crown may or may not help. Another way to diagnose a crack, or some other hidden problem that may not show on regular x-rays would be CBCT (cone beam computed tomography).

Igor Kaplansky, DDS
Buffalo Cosmetic Dentist