Very Unhappy With Rhino Results, Do I Need Another Surgery? (photo)

My doc said it is only scar tissue the is not been hell yet, and I have to spray saline every 2 hours. but it fell hard,I notice it 4 days after surgery,its been 5 weeksand havent change that much.

Very Unhappy With Rhino Results, Do I Need Another Surgery?

+2

Five weeks after Rhinoplasty is way too soon to evaluate the results.  Any Revision Rhinoplasty could not be done sooner than 6 months following the first and be sure your Rhinoplasty Surgeon understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty.

Unhappy after rhinoplasty, what can be done?

+2

Swelling and other soft tissue changes along the tip of the nose take time to evolve after rhinoplasty.  The skin is a little thicker in this area and months are required for it to shrink-wrap to the underlying framework.  The skin over the bridge of the nose is very thin and reveals changes much earlier.

I typically explain to my patients that it takes a full year for all of the swelling to be completely absorbed from the nasal skin.  I would not consider a revision procedure for at least six months because the soft tissue is still changing. 

From the base photographs the front part of the septum appears to be deflecting a little bit into the right side of the nose.  If this change persists, it can be corrected with a revision procedure.  However, if in six months you are happy with your nose from the front and side views, you may decide that improving the base view is not worth going through another procedure. 

Hope this helps

Christopher Kolstad, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

It seems that the nasal septum is the problem, but I don´t know if it is dislocated or not, or if the nasal tip is in a wrong position. I don´t think that your nose will improve with time, I also agree that you will need a revision rhinoplasty, but first talk to your doctor.

Can you post a pre op picture?

Edgar Santos, MD
Mexico Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with Rhinoplasty Results at 5 Weeks

+1

I feel some type of revision may be necessary, but it is very difficult to predict the final result because you're only  5 weeks post-op. We do not know how much of your problem is due to temporary swelling and how much is secondary to structural deviation. Patience is necessary at this time.

Unhappy with rhinoplasty result.

+1

Thank you for the photos.  While 5 weeks is too soon to say what the exact end result of a rhinoplasty will be, it does appear your nasal tip is deviated and that your septum is bending into (and is visible) in one of your nostrils.  This bent septum is likely the cause of your deviated nasal tip and another surgery will be required to correct it.  Waiting till about 6 - 10 months after surgery will give the tissues time to soften so the revision will be easier.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Nasal Deformity After Rhinoplasty

+1

Unfortunately, it does appear that you have a less than desired aesthetic result.  However, the nose can take up to a year to stop changing after a rhinoplasty.  Just be patient at this point since it has only been 5 weeks.  I do not think that everything will magically correct itself and you will have a perfect nose when you are all said and done, but you really do not know how things will end up for at least another 2 months.  At the three month mark after surgery, I would address your concerns with your surgeon.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Secondary surgery

+1

You are still soon after your surgery.  If indeed you need secondary surgery, you would be best served by delaying any treatment until all swelling has resolved and tissues are stable.  This take about one year.

Donald Nunn, MD

Unhappy with Rhinoplasty Result

+1

It loks like you have a deviated nose after the rhinoplasty. However, it is difficult to make any final decisions until more time has passed. Swelling will subside and either make some issues disappear and some more noticeable. It is likely you will need a revision, but ensure that you do you research to find someone experienced with revision rhinoplasty as this is a very complicated operation.

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Asymmetry After Rhinoplasty

+1

While there is certainly significant columellar deviation/nasal asymmetry, and I suspect that it will not fully correct on its own completely, it is still only five weeks after surgery. While to the patient this seems like an eternity, it is really quite short in rhinoplasty time. You will need to wait six months to allow all swelling to subside and the tissues to relax more. While some improvement in appearance can be expected, it is a question of how much and whether revisional surgery will be needed.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Rhinoplasty Result

+1

As others have noted, there is definitely asymmetry in your initial postoperative result.  However, there will be substantial changes over the course of the next year and it would be a mistake to return to the operating room right now.  Although it is very possible you may require a revision, it is not absolute.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon