Can I Have Permanent Nerve Damage from an Intraorbital Nerve Block for my Restylane Injections? (photos)

On Tuesday I had 1ml of Restylane injected into my upper and lower lips. I have had this done 4 times previously, by a different doctor. The previous doctor did not use nerve blocks, and simply put type of lidocaine cream on my lips prior to the injections. On Tuesday, this doctor performed a block. I now have a nerve sensation that runs from about 1/4 inch away from my nose all the way down into my lips. If I press on that spot beside my nose I feel like lightning runs straight down to my lips.

Can I Have Permanent Nerve Damage from an Intraorbital Nerve Block for my Restylane Injections?

+1

Its very rare to have permanent nerve damage due to previous Restylane injection, most likely the issue will resolve on its own.

Infraorbital nerve block for lip injection

+1

It is very unlikely that you will have permanent nerve damage. It sounds like this nerve may be a bit bruised from the injection, and that is why you probably have the persistent discomfort. It should resolve with a few days.

-Dr. Asaria

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Permanent nerve damage

+1

It will be very hard to have permanent nerve damage from Restylane injection. It is probably temporary.

Jhonny Salomon, MD

+1

Please return to the injecting doctor to be seen ASAP for a full evaluation. This sounds a bit unusual but most likely will correct by itself. 

Infraorbital Nerve Block with Restylane

+1

Permanent or even temporary infraorbital nerve injury related to a nerve block is very rare assuming appropriate technique and use of a small gauge needle (27g).  These symptoms may represent some degree of inflammation at the injection site and is likely to resolve spontaneously.  In my own practice, I used nerve blocks routinely for Restylane lip augmentation until a few years ago.  Patients do very well with 10-15 minutes of topical anesthesia; most of my patients prefer this technique to dental blocks. Restylane-L has Lidocaine pre-mixed in the syringe for increased patient comfort during injection.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon