Permalip over Silicone Oil or Not?

i had silicone oil injected in my upper lip a few years ago.Now i have 2 lumps that are not disturbing(they never caused any infection)but you can feel them when using fingers.Now i want to go for permalip implants but my surgeon is afraid that once she inserts the implant she might spread the silicone causing infections.She is thinking about removing lumps first and after try to insert the implant.I'm afraid that this might cause tissue loss that will look bad after implant.What to do?

Removing silicone from the lips in Los Angeles

+1

I remove liquid silicone from the lips in many patients and do not advise patients to use this permanent filler in their lips because of the longterm risks.

Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

PermaLip versus Silicone Oil

+1

The problem with permanent injectable lip fillers such as silicone oil is that they tend to follow the path of least resistance and can create lumps such as what you describe.  Also, while the lips may look good initially, the silicone may migrate over time and create other problems as well.  PermaLip implants allow more precision in the placement of the material being used to augment the lips.  Without seeing you in person, I cannot comment on which solution (removing the lumps before or after insertion of the PermaLip implants) would work best for you.  I think your plastic surgeon is in a better position to make that assessment.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD