Perlane vs Restylane: How is It Different?

From what I understand, Perlane and Restylane are made by the same company and do basically the same thing...so, what's the difference and why is Restylane so much more popular and talked about compared to Perlane? When is Perlane a better choice over Restylane?

Perlane is a larger particle.

+2

Restylane and Perlane are both HA's.  They are safe, effective, and reversible.  The difference between these 2 substances is the particle size.  Perlane is roughly 3-4 times larger., making it very useful for the midface.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Perlane and Restylane

+1

Yes, they are made by the same company and do basically the same thing however, the molecule size of Perlane is much larger that Restylane and is better injected deeply, into larger areas of volume loss.

Sam Naficy, MD

Perlane vs Restylane

+1

Greetings~

Great question and one that many people have questions about.  Perlane is a larger particle and is most often used for deep wrinkles (deep nasolabial folds), deep marionette lines or volume restoration. Restylane is made up of smaller particles and is used for finer lines, oral commissures, lip edges, tear troughs. Either can be used for the lips.  Though it is good for you to know the difference between the two and their uses, I would suggest leaving the choice of which filler to use where up to your injector.

Good luck~

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Perlane, Juvederm, Fill NLF's, Face Fillers, Restylane

+1

Great question. 

• Restylane is a smaller molecule soft tissue filler meant to be injected within the layers, of the skin, to fill in lines and superficial folds.
  • Perlane is made of the same material but has mor cross linking allowing a larger molecule size which is not meant to be injected within the skin but deeper into the fatty tissue below the skin for filling deeper folds and shaping areas like the cheeks, chin and Jawline.  In my opinion, Perlane last longer than Restylane.

Perlane vs. Restylane

+1

Perlane and Restylane are both hyaluronic acids fillers made by Medicis. Perlane is more highly cross-linked than Restylane and so is thicker to inject and is better injected through a larger needle. Physicians differ in their use of the products, but in a nutshell, Restylane is for more superficial lines and wrinkles and lip augmentation (although I'm sure some use Perlane for this) and Perlane is better for deeper folds such as the smile lines and puppet lines (marionette lines). Perlane may last a little longer than Restylane, but this is not proven. As for why you hear more about Restylane it was approved by the FDA first and so it is a branded well recognized product. The company just needs to drive business to the injectors and then let the injector take it from there. Better to drive one brand name then spend half the money driving two.

Edward Buckingham, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon