Perlane vs. Radiesse - What Looks More Natural?

I've been using Perlane for my cheeks for the past 18 months. My Dr. built the cheeks up slowly by injecting 1 syringe per visit. I've had 6-8 syringes and am very happy. My left cheek needs only about 1 more syringe, but my Dr. wants to start using Radiesse for a number of reasons including $$$ savings for me over the long run. I trust my Dr. completely, but I'm concerned that Radiesse will not look as natural as Perlane. What do you think? I welcome as much feedback as possible. Thank you.

Radiesse Injections for Cheek Enhancements

+3

I think Radiesse is a great option for cheek enhancement if you do not wish to have a more permanent solution like cheek implants!  My physician assistants and myself prefer Radiesse over the use of Perlane for cheek augmentations, hands down!!! The results tend to last longer from my experience with both fillers and the "natural look" is excellent! 

Patient satisfaction is key and that is what we achieve!!!  Good luck.  Hope this helps.

Dr. Grant Stevens   

Perlane vs Radiesse for Natural Results...

+3

Both of these products are going to give you an excellent result if used properly.  It sounds like you have found a physician you trust and has given you results you have been pleased with in the past.  It is the technique of the injector that is key to the end result to make it look natural not the product injected.

Lisa Kates, MD
Annapolis Dermatologist

Perlane vs Radiesse for cheek inhancement - which looks more natural

+2

Both Perlane and Radiesse can be used to enhance the cheekPerlane will tend to resorb over time and to maintain the effect will require more frequent repeat treatments (usually 9-15 months).  Radiesse, on the other hand, is injected deeper, will cause you body to form more collagen, and will tend to be more permanent.  The Radiesse may be a more cost effective long term solution, however, if you don't like the results is not reversible, whereas, the Perlane is.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Perlane and Radiesse

+2

Perlane and Radiesse each appear natural and the results are really surgeon related not product related. It is true that Radiesse may last longer. Radiesse does have some limitations and generally is not be used in the lip area.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Beverly Hills Perlane, Beverly Hills Radiesse, Cheek Augmentation, Cheek Enhancement

+2

Both Perlane and Radiesse are great at shaping the cheeks and where and how much of either filler is what dictaes whether, or not your cheeks look natural.  You have used a fair amount of Perlane to shape your cheeks and Radiesse would give, IMO, more correction because it's a larger molecule than PerlaneRadiesse is a bit more lumpy, even when massaged out by the plastic and cosmetic surgeon injecting the material and does have more swelling after injection than PerlaneRadiesse last about 12 months versus 8-9 with Perlane.  You may want to consider Cheek Implants for a permanent correction.

Radiesse and Perlane can both look either natural or unnatural

+2

Radiesse and Perlane can both look either natural or unnatural. It depends on where and how they are injected. Both products are soft, and if they are administered correctly can work. Radiesse often lasts longer and works nicely in combination with Perlane. Often, Radiesse is injected deeper and lasts longer. Radiesse is not reversible (although it will eventually go away), where as Perlane is reversible. So if there’s a lot of concern, it’s certainly safer to go with a reversible product than an irreversible product. But, Radiesse can give you more lifting and longer results. It’s really the experience the doctor has injecting the product that makes the difference.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Perlane vs. Radiesse as a cheek filler

+2

Both Perlane and Radiesse produce wonderful results for facial volumization.  Usually most physicians tend to select Radiesse as the number of hyaluronic acid fillers (Perlane or Juvederm Ultraplus) become significant because of the greater cost-effectiveness of Radiesse.  Radiesse is slightly more firm but can produce some greater soreness for a few days than Perlane. One advantage of Perlane is that it can be reversed by injecting hyaluronidase but Radiesse can not be dissolved.  If someone is unsure of how happy they would be after their first treatment, Perlane is good as a test since it can be reversed, and then Radiesse can be used in the future to spend less money with the same volume.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Perlane vs Radiesse

+2

They each have their advantages but I use Radiesse almost exclusively in this area. They both give a nice result but Radiesse comes in a larger size syringe, provides more support to create more lift, and lasts longer than Perlane. However, Perlane is reversible (if you don't like the results) whereas Radiesse is not reversible. Of course, as it has been stated many times, the results depend on the skill of the injecting physician.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

I am with Dr Lupo: It's the doctor not the filler that gives natural results

+2

All cosmetic procedures and treatments can be made to look natural or unnatural.  It's the expertise, the eye and the judgment of the doctor that makes a difference.

Radiesse, although it gives immediate results is used differently than hyaluronic acid fillers.  It can be injected deeper, on top of the bone to give lift and support to the overlying skin.  It stimulates your own collagen production to help rebuild some of that scaffolding that is lost as we age.  Bone, fat and soft tissue are lost during aging and that is what makes the skin sag and fold.

Hyaluronic acid fillers like Perlane can also be used to give lift to the tissue, but ml per ml are certainly more expensive than Radiesse.  They also don't stimulate collagen production.

Hyaluronic acid fillers can be used in some areas where Radiesse cannot, like areas of highly active ring-like muscles like the lips or periorbital area.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

It is not the filler...

+2

It is the skill, artestry and experience of the FILLER-your doctor. Radiesse is frequently used in the cheeks. It may cause more swelling initially, but it does indeed give a better bang for your buck as the syringe holds 50% more product than most other fillers. It is also a bit stiffer and can give more lift. It is not, however, reversible, which does make many prefer HA fillers like Perlane.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist