Perlane Vs Radiesse for Cheeks

What are the pros and cons of Perlane and Radiesse for cheeks? Is it true that Perlane will not cause lumps, will not migrate, and is smoother and better for women?

Perlane vs Radiesse

+3

Greetings Joann~

Perlane and Radiesse are both excellent products and work beautifully in the cheeks.  I definitely do NOT agree that Perlane is inherently smoother and won't cause lumps...these things are very injector dependent and not substance dependent.  Good injectors can get beautiful smooth results in men and women with either product. Some patients do feel they get more longevity with Radiesse than Perlane for the cheeks.  If you are apprehensive about having fillers done in the cheeks, then perhaps Perlane is a good choice for the first time since it can be easily dissolved if you don't like the results.  Your most important choice may not be so much with product as it is with injector....choose your injector wisely and it will make all the difference.

Good luck~

Dr. Grant Stevens

Perlane vs Radiesse

+2

How to choose between the two?  I prefer Perlane just because to me it is a more natural product found in soft tissues.  Radiesse is a calcium based product not much different than what is found in bone.  It can give a nice result as well, but you can not dissolve it if you have a problem with it.

Perlane vs Radiesse for the cheeks? Great question!

+2

Both Perlane and Radiesse are great choices for cheek augmentation.  They are thicker than Restylane and provide a nice, "umph" for 6-9 months.  For my first time cheek patients I often choose Perlane because it is, "kinder and gentler" the first few days.  The Radiesse tends to have more swelling during this time.  The advantage of the Radiesse is that it lasts maybe a couple of months longer than the Perlane.  I will often give patients this option after they've seen the wonder of great cheeks and are willing to undergo 3 days of swelling for more months of cheeks.

In summary, they are both great, the Radiesse causes a little more initial swelling but lasts a little longer.

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers for the cheeks

+2

There are a variety of different fillers for the face and each has its own specific characteristic and longevity. The most important thing is the quality of your injector. An experienced injector should be able to give you smooth, natural results, no matter what material is used.

Specifically for the cheeks, I prefer to use Radiesse. I use an intra-oral technique where the filler is injected through the mouth. I have been using this method for over a year and will never go back to puncturing through the skin! I find that there is minimal bruising and swelling - and any that occurs is on the inside of the mouth and is not noticeable to anyone else. The results last about 12 months. I have used Perlane in this manner but find that it does not last as long and required more vials to get the same results.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Combining Ulthera with facial fillers and Radiesse - Santa Monica

+1

Radiesse is an excellent option. I combine the Radiesse with Ulthera to lift up the cheek and submalar areas of the face. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Perlane vs Radiesse

+1

I would consult with a reputable, well-trained and experienced provider for a full assessment and education on both of these dermal fillers. They are both great for cheek volume replacement but have distinctive characteristics that should be explained fully before injection.

Sam Naficy, MD

Perlane Vs Radiesse for Cheeks

+1

Both products can be excellent for cheek augmentation. The more key decision is to choose an experienced and expert injector. The injector can then guide you on which product he/she prefers to use for your case.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Clear pros and cons of Perlane vs. Radiesse for cheeks.

+1

Joannh,

Radiesse tends to be more expensive, and it definitely lasts longer, which means, if you love your results you are thrilled, and if you don't like them, you are very unhappy. Unlike Perlane, Restylane, and Juvederm, Radiesse can't be easily removed with hyaluronidase if you are displeased or if there is a reaction.

I disagree with the concept that "Perlane is softer and looks better for WOMEN". That is a strange suggestion. Filler is sculpting material and the right skilled, trained, experienced, conscientious and artistic dermatologist or plastic surgeon should make lovely results with either. Overuse of either will give bad looking results.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Cheek Implants, Cheek Augmentaion, Cheek Enhancement, Cheek Fillers, Perlane, Radiesse

+1

I use and love both perlane and Radiesse for shaping Cheeks.  Here's my take and how I present each to our many filler patients who use one or both.

Perlane

• very easy to use, very minimal lumipness, swelling or bruising, doesn't give cord effect in NLF when patienst smile like Radiesse sometimes does.  You can have it today and go out tonight.
  • less expensive at $800 per 1.0 cc syringe than Radiesse
  • doesn't last as long as Radiesse (8-9 months vesus 12 months for Radiesse)

Radiesse

• thicker, larger molecule and more ability to shape and contour Cheeks, Chin and especially the Jaw Line.
  • can be a bit more lumpy for 1 to 2 days due to localized swelling
  • can't really have Radiesse and go out that night unless very minimal amount used which is unlikely most of the time when shaping the cheeks
  • gives 1.5 cc's in a syringe for $1,000 cost
  • lasts longer than Perlane

My bottom line is that the first time patients who see us for Cheek Shaping typically get perlane...more forgiving and let's you ease into the procedure.  Radiesse can be substituted at anytime if you're looking for added duration.  In fact, so can Cheek Implants if you're a suitable candidate.

Perlane or Radiesse in the Cheeks

+1

While good results can be seen with either product, I almost always use Radiesse in the cheeks due to it's greater "lifting" ability to give nicer results. It is also significantly longer-lasting. As always, make sure you have an experienced injector as Radiesse injections cannot be reversed if you don't like the results. The one advantage of Perlane is that it can be reversed.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon