I Am Getting Perlane for my Glabellar Region, Should I be Concerned About Having a Bad Reaction?

Hello. I just had Botox done for the Glabellar region to help get rid of my 11's, well in my case my 1. I am 39 years old. In 3 wks I am going back to get Perlane (1/2 syringe) to fill it in as Botox is not getting rid of it. I have read many cautions about this area and I am nervous however I am getting this done by a board cert. plastic surgeon who is highly competent. Should I still worry? I understand that it can be taken out if there is a severe reaction.

Perlane for the glabellar region

+1

In general, I would not recommend having filler injected in the glabella. There are complications that can arise from this and it is very risky. If you did not get a good result from Botox,  you may want to try Dysport. It has a faster onset than Botox and lasts slightly longer. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Perlane in the glabella region

+1

No injections come without risk - and Perlane to the glabella region has them. However, if you trust your provider and they inform you of potential complications, and you agree, it can be beneficial. There are other filler options that may be better used in that area - and, considering regular use of a neuromodulator (Botox, Dysport) that will minimize the lines in the glabella region over time, (without ever using a dermal filler), is another option.

Sam Naficy, MD

+1

There are potential risks and complications with any injectable; however, these are minimal for Perlane and I would certainly trust my surgeon in this.  Hyaluronidase is an injectable natural substance which can be used to break down the hyaluronic acid, which is what Perlane is made of. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Jonathan Berman, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

+1

No fillers should be used in the Glabellar region, including Perlane IMHO.  It has been reported that fillers, placed in the Glabella, can restrict blood flow through the glabellar vein(s) causing a quarter-size skin necrosis of the forehead.  Botox, Dysport or Xeomin only to the Glabella.

Perlane should not be used in the glabellar area

+1

Restylane is the best choice for a filler in the glabellar area., if necessary, after your Botox treatment. Perlane is injected more deeply than Restylane and, for the reasons already stated,  is not safe to use in the glabellar area.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Thinner fillers like Juvederm Ultra and Restylane are better for the glabellar area

+1

Thinner fillers like Juvederm Ultra and Restylane are better for the glabellar area.  This is because there are very important blood vessels in that area that bring blood flow to the skin of the face.  If the injector were to inadvertantly inject a thicker filler like Perlane into one of these blood vessels, it could cut off circulation to part of the face and this could cause necrosis (cell death) and resultant scarring.   A thinner filler is much less likely to have this rare, but sometimes tragic, side effect.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Do not get perlane in the glabellar area!

+1

While it is not impossible to have this treatment very carefully performed with safe results, there is significant increased risk.  The risk is skin necrosis and embolization of the Perlane into the larger blood vessels just under this skin.  As you push your treating surgeon to do more here you really do risk these complications.  I would discuss another plan for your cosmetic concerns.