Perlane into Cheeks Gave Fat Cheeks, but I Wanted Only a Lift!

Had full cheeks to start with & was wanting a cheek lift, but doctor suggested getting perlane to lift. Had seen another doctor in the past re fillers- he told me my cheeks were already full, so I didn't need any. The doctor who injected me told me this WOULD lift my cheeks- 4 weeks later, my face is just looking misshapen & fatter than before- I had definition in my cheeks before & now have just a full round face. Cheeks still hurt too. What can I do? Am I just swollen? Will cheeks deflate soon?

Cheek lift with Filler? Get specifics! Beware! Demand explanations!

+3

I am not a fan of fillers for cheek lifting and I think it is too often a disappointment.  Now certainly I feel it is indicated in some cases but if cheeks really need to be fuller and lifted do a cheek lift and fat transfer.   Fillers are fine around the mouth and lips and for deficient areas.  When you are told they will LIFT YOU CHEEKS always ask to see photographic display of what you will likely LIFT by doing this.   See people who have had this done.  COMPUTER IMAGING OF YOUR FACE SHOWS ONLY WHAT A COMPUTER WILL NOT AND I DO NOT BELIEVE IN THIS MERCHANDISING SALES TECHNIQUE.  SEE PHOTOS OF REAL PATIENT BEFORE AND AFTER.  Get your doctor to exactly tell you....EXACTLY...what will be liifted.   IN WRITING.  Go see your doctor.  When you see your befores you may like you new look.   Good Luck.  

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Cheeks and fillers

+2

If you feel that you are over done and the cheeks are blow up, you can either wait it out or if it was a hyaluronic acid, then you can have it dissolved with hyaluronidase.

Perlane is a filler; cheek lift requires surgery.

+2

I am sorry your doctor and you were not on the same page. No physician would knowingly do something that you did not want, but obviously what you asked for, what you wanted, and what was done did not all line up properly.

Perlane does reabsorb in 6-12 months, so fortunately this is not permanent. Surgery cannot be "taken back," so when you are ready, make sure you are asking the right questions and getting answers to those questions.

Lift implies repositioning and/or tightening, whereas fillers add volume. Adding volume can give the impression of tightening, but not without adding volume. Any discomfort of injection should be subsiding by now, but sometimes injections close to the cheekbones can bruise the periosteum (the bony covering), and these bruises can be uncomfortable somewhat longer than "average." This too gets better over time.

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Perlane Causing Fat Cheeks

+2

Fortunately, the perlane is temporary - lasting about 1 year. I know, you wish it was less temporary. Hyaluronidase can be injected to dissolve the hyaluronic acid, but that approach is not without complications. Be sure your physicians is experienced with hyaluronidase injections. Ultimately, you will have the cheek lift  that was initially recommended.

Perlane won't last long.

+2

After the Perlane goes away, then you can have a proper cheeklift done by an experienced surgeon familiar with how to do this.

Lifting cheeks takes a knowledge of the face and facial beauty

+1

fillers can lift the cheeks but you have to know where to put it. Also cheek lifts in my opinion are not usually my first choice. I don't really like the operation and in most situations I opt for fat grafting.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Not having seen you, it is unlikely that at 4 weeks you still have swelling.  Perlane can take 6 to 12 months to absorb.  If you don't want to wait, hyaluronidase can be injected to dissolve the Perlane.

Consult with a physician who performs midface lifts to see if you are a candidate for this procedure.

Good luck.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon