Are These Perioral Mounds? (photo)

In the last year I have developed strange contours around my mouth, particually when I smile, are they perioral mounds? What can be done to improve it, its worse on one side. I naturally have mouth corners that turn down, is there any risk in this looking worse if I do microlipo in this area?

Peri-oral mounds

+1

I would not do micro-lipo in the area of concern. The reason you are noticing these fat/muscle bulges more with age is probably a loss of fat tissue contour in the area. As we age we loose fatty tissue and tend to get sagging of what remains. This can lead to the visible deformity you describe. The better correction is to replace fullness around the area in an even fashion. either with fat itself or a filler like Juvederm or Perlane.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of the Perioral Area

+1

Fillers at the level of the oral commissure are usually a good choice.  I would not recommend liposuction.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Face-and-Neck-Lift.php

Peri oral 'mounds'

+1

The mounds that you have developed are related to a combination of loss of subcutaneous fat leading to the appearance of loss of volume, or may be secondary to changes in muscle function. I wound initially recommend low dose Botox treatments in an effort to modify the activity of the orbicularis muscle around the mouth

Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Contour issues around the mouth can be dealt with by fillers or Botox.

+1

The picture demonstates some contour issues around the mouth that are the product of muscular function.  The muscle can be weakened with Botox or the depressions filled with a filler.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,13-atlanta-breast-augmentation.htm

Improvement of the corners of the mouth

+1

As we age, we lose volume in different areas of the face at different times.  Loss of volume at the corners of the mouth can create the contour irregularities you are referring to.  Temporary fillers (Restylane, Juvederm, etc) can improve the contours.  Fat grafting can give a longer-term result, but the result can sometimes be more unpredictable.  Filling these areas can also improve the downturned appearance of the corners of the mouth.