Do You Recommend Porcelain Veneers For Someone With Periodontal Disease?

I have already started to lose teeth.

+1

It is very important as a patient to understand the risks with periodontal disease. As you probably know, Periodontal (gum) diseases, including gingivitis and periodontitis, are serious infections that, left untreated, can lead to tooth loss. The word periodontal literally means “around the tooth.” Periodontal disease is a chronic bacterial infection that affects the gums and bone supporting the teeth. Before you think about getting any cosmetic work done, your priority should be the foundation of your teeth, if the gums are not healthy you will not have the support your teeth need for aesthetic work. I hope this help

Fairfax Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers and periodontal inflammation

+1

If the patient has an active periodontal inflammation it is a direct contraindication for any restorative work. First- perio inflammation should be taken under control with cleaning, possibly perio surgery, antibiotics, etc. After the treatment is complete and the gum tissue is stable, the restorations like crowns or veneers can be placed.

Olga Kharevich, DMD, PhD (in memoriam)
Miami Cosmetic Dentist

I do not recommend veneers with periodontal disease.

+1

I do not recommend porcelain veneers for any patient who is not actively treating their periodontal disease and it is under control. And by control I mean it has not advanced to the point of tooth loss. You would be building beautiful veneers on a foundation of sand. You need a good foundation for any cosmetic case to work and looks its absolute best. Which is the ultimate goal here I am sure.

Marielaina Perrone DDS

Henderson Cosmetic Dentist

Marielaina Perrone, DDS
Henderson Cosmetic Dentist

+1

If you have periodontal disease can you have veneers? Yes, you can-sometimes.

Sometimes a major change like changing the look of your smile can really motivate you to take care of everything else.

You must begin to take care of the gum disease first.

Changing your smile often improves how evenly you bite, that can have a positive effect on stabilizing your gum disease.

I have one patient who I believe getting porcelain veneers ultimately saved his teeth.

But don't be confused, the veneers will not save your teeth, that is up to you, with the help of your dentist. But this is a great conversation to get started.

Scott Greenhalgh, DDS
Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Treating periodontal disease first is of utmost imporatance

+1

Treating periodontal disease first is of utmost importance . No matter what you want to restore your teeth with, the disease has to be treated. Bone is the foundation of the house, until the foundation is so solid, it does not matter what window treatment you choose.

Soheyla Marzvaan, DDS
Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Perio in check before veneers!

+1

This is a tricky question. You must have your periodontal disease under control and be on a lifetime maintenance plan. It also depends how much bone loss you have had already? However, if you have Minimal boneloss veneers could be a great option. Furthermore, if your condition is not stable, then I would wait until your condition is stable , and you are able to maintain it with the help of your oral healthcare  professional.

James Merrett, DDS
Maui Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers not a good idea with active gum disease

+1

Veneers (or any other cosmetic dental procedure for that matter) are not a good idea until active gum disease, meaning the infection, is under control.  That means there should be no bleeding during flossing and brushing and the gums should look pink and healthy.  

Michael Firouzian, DDS
Columbus Cosmetic Dentist

Perio disease must be controlled

+1

Since it can not be cured, never say never.  If you HAVE the disease, it is stable and controlled/maintained, then veneers can be a great way  to close the dark spaces/triangles that periodontal disease can cause.  

However, if you are NOT under the supervision of a dentist or periodontist, then absolutely not.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

I Do NOT Recommend Porcelain Veneers for Someone With Periodontal Disease

+1

I do NOT recommend ANY dental treatment other than PERIODONTAL treatment until your periodontal disease is under control and stable. Any dental restoration will fail or worsen the disease until it is under control.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist