I Have Periodontal Issues and a Tooth That Has Dropped. Would You Recommend Invisalign?

My dentist suggested Invisalign, to correct one of my front teeth that has dropped slightly. My dentist has also insisted that prior to the 'records' appointment for Invisalign's assessment, I need to have a deep cleaning treatment for $326 per quadrant. Do you think this is necessary, and will Invisalign be of any benefit for a tooth that has dropped due to receding gums?

Health gums are a must for Invisalign..

+1

It sounds like a great idea if you have gum issues. SRP's or quadrant deep cleanings run about 300-400 dollars per quad so that seems normal.

The invisalign can certainly move that tooth back into position with little to no problem,but without photos this is just an opinion of course.

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Periodontal disease and Invisalign treatment

+1

Invisalign is my preferred treatment choice for patients with a history of gum disease. The advantage of using Invisalign is that patients are able to remove the aligners and brush and floss normally. The Invisalign trays also do not accumulate plaque and food in the way traditional braces do.

Having said that prior to Invisalign treatment gum disease does need to be controlled which usually involves a deep cleaning. If the teeth are moved and the gums are not healthy the rate of gum disease may accelerate and result in either tooth loss or the need for gum surgery. Once the gums are healthy teeth can be moved quite efficiently with Invisalign.

Samie Thabet, MD
Germantown Orthodontist

Healthy gums are critical!

+1

Before initiating any type of tooth movement your teeth and supporting tissues must be healthy.  It sounds like the deep cleaning is important to make sure that is the case.  Invisalign can take care of small vertical movements, but large ones are less predictable.  And if it is truly just one tooth that is the problem there are  other less expensive alternatives to correct it.  An orthodontic specialist will have access to all those methods.

Doug Depew, DMD
Atlanta Orthodontist

Active disease means NO Invisalign

+1

All orthodontics, whether Invisalign or wires, requires NO pathology.  This includes active gum disease, which has a component of chronic inflammation.  If the inflammation is present, orthodontics can lead to loss of teeth, so the advice for periodontal therapy is wise (deep cleaning is not an accurate description of the service, since it is treating a bacterial infection).

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist