Will a Periareolar Lift and Implants Be a Good Decision or Should I Not Even Go Through with a Breast Lift? (photo)

I am 22 years old and I was planning on getting a breast lift and implants using the Benelli Lift ( peri-areolar). I am looking for a way with the least amount of scarring and best results. What type of lift is best for me? My other problem is that last year I was in a accident that left me with stitches, I did not take good care of my stitches and they have turned into hypertrophic scars or keloids. What should I do, I am very unhappy with my breasts but I do not want to have horrible scars.

Periareolar vs Lollipop Breast Lift

+2

You are in a classic touch spot because you really need some form of a breast lift but understandably don't want scars. What one would consider 'horrible' scars is open to interpretation but suffice it to say that breast lift scars will look nothing like the ones from your accident. Ultimately the breast lift decision comes down to less of a lift with the perirareolar approach (with less scar) vs much more of a lift with the lollipop approach but with more scar. Which choice is the right one for you requires some more research on your part. Spend some time looking at these two different breast scar patterns and results. I suspect it will not take long before you make that visual determination.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.com

Will a Periareolar Lift and Implants Be a Good Decision

+2

You would do fine with the periareolar lift and augmentation, but you would also look fine with the full anchor lift and no implants if you are OK with your current cup size. With implants there will always be another surgery in your future. That is usually not the case with a lift. You need to be clear on your desired look and then see a very experienced Plastic Surgeon to help you decide the best way to achieve that goal.

+2

You are a good candidate for a circumareolar lift

I perform a variation of this procedure ---  the subareolar lift--- .the sutures are placed under the areola thus reducing the scarring

I would recommend a smooth round silicone gel implant placed under the fascia

Web reference: http://www.beckermd.com/breast/lift-boca-raton-fl/

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation with a periareolar lift vs augmentation only.

+2

Thank you for the photos. I'm not sure if I understand your concern when you say "I am unhappy with my breasts". Are you unhappy with the size, shape or both? You have significant breast asymmetry and very large niple-areolar complexes. My personal approach would be a short scar (lollipop) breast lift to make your breasts symmetrical, resize your nipple-areolar complex and improve the shape of your breasts. your cup size will be the same. If you desire augmentation as well, I prefer to do that at a later date. The problem I see with the Bennelli lift, is that the areola gets stretched and widened unless the surgeon uses a permanent suture. The other issue is that this technique often flattens the breast profile, reducing projection. See a board certified plastic surgeon for an in person consultation and lok at their Bennelli lift/augmentation patient photos to decide if this procedure is right for you. Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.bellevueplasticsurgeons.com

Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Peri-areolar lift will likely give you a very good result

+2

Thank you for the photos.  I think implants and a peri-areolar lift can provide a very good result.  Make sure your plastic surgeon shows you good before and after photos of his/her work doing so as doing a proper peri-areolar lift is necessary to avoid complications.  The other good news is that down the road you can choose to have the vertical incision for additional contouring without any bridges being burned by the peri-areolar lift.

Dr Remus Repta

Web reference: http://www.aaaplasticsurgery.com/photo-gallery/details.cfm?ID=82&StartRow=16

Best Breast Procedure for Me?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Although I cannot give you precise advice without direct examination and a full communication of your goals, I think you may have chosen a good operation to meet your goals ( breast augmentation and Benelli lift).

On the one hand, the scars that you demonstrated ( secondary to trauma)  do not necessarily represent what the scar around your areola will look like; on the other hand, it is difficult to predict exactly what the scar around the areola will look like (despite best efforts to obtain a fine line closure/scar).

Sometimes, the presence of scars is a “dealbreaker”;  patients would prefer to leave their breasts unchanged than to have scars. At other times, patients  prefer to have the improvement in breast position, shape, and (possibly) size  and are willing to accept the trade-off of scars.
 I would suggest that you meet with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons for more precise advice. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastLiftAug.htm

Periareolar Lift and Implants

+2

With scars as the ones you have from the injury you are at added risk for unfavorable scars from any surgery. 

Other than for that factor I would probably recommend a periareolar lift with your implants. Perhaps the best option would be to go ahead with the augmentation with incisions in the fold. You may feel that the result is satisfactory. If not you will have a surgical scar to look at. If it is nicely healed without hypertrophy, the chances of having a nice scar with a lift are improved. 

Thanks for the question. This is a complex issue. Best wishes. 

Will a Periareolar Lift and Implants Be a Good Decision or Should I Not Even Go Through with a Breast Lift?

+1

Breast augmentation with implants and a Benelli lift will likely yield the result you would like and limit scarring.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast lifts and breast augmentations each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/breast-lift-photo-galleries.php

Mini Ultimate Breast Lift is a new periareolar lift technique

+1

There is a new periareolar technique called The Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.  This results in only an incision around the areola.  Through this incision, implants can be placed, breast tissue reshaped and elevated higher and medially on the chest wall to increase cleavage.  The weight of the breast is transferred to the underlying muscle which will provide long term stability.  There are no vertical incisions such as the lollipop or boat anchor.  You have asymmetry so you will need different size implants on each side.  The areolas are reduced so they match.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Web reference: http://www.horndeski.com/gallery.aspx

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Periareolar lifts and scarring

+1

are always a concern because if the suture fails, your scars will widen considerably.  Benelli lifts also flatten the projection of the nipple.  Hence, I am not a fan of this procedure as only a few 'gifted' surgeons seem able to achieve reproducible results that hold up against the test of time.  If you wish to have this type of lift, please find out what that doctor's revision policy is for unsatisfactory results and what time frame it covers.  Is it worth it to have them look great for a year and then progressively worse thereafter when a vertical mastopexy would hold up better over time?