Is a Periareolar Lift and Areolar Reduction Right for Me?

I have had 2 children and post babies i have had some changes in my breast. My left breast produced more milk than my right which has resulted in the breast being a little saggier and the areola being 1.5 cm larger than the other. I would like to have saline breast implants to become a full C to a small D and am currently a 34 A/B. My concern in the rippling around the areola and the flattening on the breast that i have seen. Any information would be helpful! thank you :)

Breast asymmetry and periareolar lifts with augmentation

+2

It is not possible to address this fully without pictures and an exam, but in general, I would do the augmentation first with properly sized and positioned saline or silicone gel implants and then assess whether you need/want to adjust the periareolar area on one side. It is very difficult to do something on just one side along with an augmentation and get the balance of factors just right to solve the asymmetry.

A periareolar procedure may be appropriate to make an adjustment to the nipple-areola if the rest of the breast is reasonable, but think of it as a nipple-areolar adjustment rather than a lift. Even nipple reduction is best left until after the augmentation to see if it's still needed/wanted and can be done as a fairly minor procedure under local anesthesia.  

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift Necessary? him

+1

Unfortunately, without direct examination or viewing pictures it is not possible to advise you whether breast lifting is necessary (and if so what type of breast lifting you would benefit from).I would suggest in person consultation with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastLift.htm

Avoid vertical scars when lifting your breasts

+1

Unfortunately, you have not provided photographs but you state both breasts are the same size, a 34 A/B.  If you want to be a small D you will need approximately 300 cc implants to increase 3 cup sizes from an A to a D.  The sagginess and enlarged areola can be corrected through areolar incisions.  This is done to lift the breast and reduce the size of the areola.  The result can be permanent with a non-absorbent pursue string suture and depending on how much skin is taken can minimize the rippling around the areola and the flatness you described.  The new technique (Augmentation with Ultimate Lift) uses excess skin to internally suspend the breast tissue.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Web reference: http://www.horndeski.com/gallery.aspx

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Periareolar lift

+1

I can't make any specifiic recommendations without an exam, but in general when too much is asked of a periareolar lift, the breast becomes flattened and in my opinion looks odd. 

In my experience,  periareolar technique can be asked to only reduce the areolar size or to lift the areola a little bit.   Expecting it to do both is asking too much and will often result in a weird looking breast and an unhappy patient and it can be difficult to fix with further surgery. 

In most cases, the shape of the breast should  trump the scars.  Most full breast lift scars fade with time and they are always on the lower part of the breast and therefore easily concealed with 99%  of swimwear or bras. 

Web reference: http://www.sowdermd.com/procedures/breast-procedures/breast-lift/

Periareolar lift

+1

You are correct that any significant periareolar lift will produce pleating and a flattening of the conical shape of the breast. In addition, any reduction in diameter is often short-lived as the tension on the areola usually produces gradually enlargement of the areola.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.