Do I Need a Peri-Areolar Lift Along with my Implant Exchange? (photo)

My 11 yr old saline implants are being replaced on May 10, 2012 due to a rupture of the right side. I had 475 cc with Peri-Areolar when I had my BA. My PS said I would benefit from another breast lift this time around. I will be going up in size to a 600 cc possibly. In your opinion, is my Ptosis bad enough to warrant another lift? I have a Moderate profile in now. Would I benefit from a Mod + or HP best, with or without the lift. Any input is appreciated

A peri- areolar lift may not be enough

+1

Circumareolar or peri- areolar lifts are reserved for 1- 2 cm of lift max.   You need more than this if you truly want to be lifted.   Perhaps you are comfortable with the shape of you breasts and the position of your nipples.  If so, this proposed procedure may be correct for you.  If however, you wish to have perky breasts and higher nipples you would benefit from undergoing a circumvertical lift with a short T.   Another approach would be a complete mastopexy with a Laser Bra.   Good Luck!  

Web reference: http://marinaplasticsurgery.com

Breast lift

+1

You are a very good demonstration of what I feel to be the case with periareolar lifts;  they really don't provide worthwhile lift at all.  My recommendation is that you undergo a full mastopexy and use a smaller implant. Personally, I would perform this in two stages.  First, I would remove both implants and do the lift.  Then in a few months I would place the implants  My reasoning for this is that your nipples need to be lifted quite a bit, and it is easier ans safer when done as two procedure.  Other doctors might recommend doing it as one stage.  However, often when having an implant and lift simultaneously, a secondary revision is needed after several months, essentially turning it into a two stage procedure anyway.

Breast lift with implant exchange.

+1

Based on the photos, I agree with all the other surgeons' recommendation of a simultaneous breast lift with the implant exchange, even with 600 cc implants. The right breast will need a little more work and I feel you would need more than a Donut or periareolar lift to attain the amount of lift and shape that would look most natural. 

Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

A lift would likely be helpful

+1

Augmentation mastopexy is a relatively common operation in the United States.  Many women find that they lack breast volume, and that their breasts sit too low do to skin excess.  However, obtaining consistent, durable results with this procedure can be challenging.  From the photos, it does appear that you would likely benefit from a simultaneous breast lift at the time of your implant exchange.  I am not certain a circumareolar (donut) breast lift will be adequate though.  You may get a much better result with a vertical mastopexy.  Plastic surgeons don't always know ahead of time which lift will work the best until the new implants are placed.

Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

Do I Need a Peri-Areolar Lift Along with my Implant Exchange?

+1

Based upon the posted photo I agere you need exchange with a lift. But I doubt a peri areolar lift will accomplish the amount of elevation you may need. This show be discussed in person. 

Is a periareolar lift needed

+1

Based on your photo, you have an asymmetry and some ptosis.  So I would agree with your PS that you would benefit from some form of a lift.  Best of luck!

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Web reference: http://www.basuplasticsurgery.com

Breast lift with vertical incision

+1

If you were with your breast shape before deflation,you should get only implant exchange. If you were not happy with your  breast shape before deflation, full breast lift will work. You breast sagging is not just nipple ptosis .        

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

+1

It looks like you need a full lift from your pictures. Bigger implants will not change the type of lift you need. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for consultation.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Breasts and lift

+1

Just based upon your photos, it looks like you need a lift.  It would probably require something more than a periareola approach.

Do I need a periareolar lift along with my implant exchange?

+1

You do have sagging breasts. What are your goals? Are you getting larger implants, going up from 475cc to maybe 600cc because you want larger breasts? Or are you hoping that larger implants will somehow lift your breasts, which they will not. Are you happy enough with the current degree of overhang and low nipple position of your breasts that you would keep them as they are, or are you willing to have more visible scars on the breasts in order to have less overhang and a higher more "ideally" placed nipple position? I think that a periareolar lift will not be enough, and you will require at least a vertical scar as well (circumvertical or even anchor scar) in order to achieve an effective lif without a distorted shape and a worse scar around the areolat. And remember, the larger and heavier the implant, the greater the risk of long term problems such as drop out, stretching, and thinning of the breast skin with recurrent sagging of the breast.

Web reference: http://www.seattleplasticsurgery.com/breast-augmentation-surgery.html