How Do You Perform Proper Scar Massage?

I'm confused about scar massage, I don't think I'm performing it correctly. I had Mohs surgery 5 weeks ago on my lower left chin, leaving about a 1" scar. I'm using sunscreen and silicone sheets, but am unclear as to how to perform the scar massage. The nurse told me to press hard, but it is causing pain and might be making the scar more red. I've researched it and everyone seems to have a different answer. Circular, perpendicular, soft pressure, hard pressure, I'm so confused! ~Thanks

Proper Scar Massage is Firm Circular Pressing Motion

+3

Scars are best treated with pressure. Methods for scar pressure are:

• Compressive garments or splints
  • Massage
  • Silicone Sheeting
  • Topical Silicone Creams

Pain and redness are a sign that your scar may be too fresh for massage or you may be forming a Hypertrophic Scar.

See your doctor. Topical Steroids can be used to reduce inflammation.

I use IPL-Intense Pulsed Light-Photofacial to reduce red scars. 1540 Fractional Erbium Laser treatments can also be effective.

Proper scar massage

+1

Each situation is unique and only your reconstructive surgeon knows the specific details of your procedure and should be the person commenting on post-operative questions such as this.  In general it is good to avoid causing pain when massaging.  Start easy and increase pressure as tolerated

Sam Naficy, MD