Is It Possible to Perform a Lip Suspension or Lip Lift Without Cutting the Columella?

I already have couple of cuts on the columella from previous and multiple surgeries on the nose. I was reading on the Internet that there is a procedure called lip suspension that can lift the lips solely through sutures inside the nostrils. Myth or Truth?

+1

Lip lifting typically requires an incision either at the base of the nose or along the lip line where the red and white portions of the lip meet. If you have a scar across the columella from a rhinoplasty this is in a different area than where a lip lift incision would be placed. Therefore, the lip lift shouldn't complicate any of the previous surgery that has been performed on your nose. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Myth of Lip Lifting With Sutures Alone

+1

Lifting the upper lip without removing skin through suture suspension is a myth. There is no getting around removing skin if one really wants to shorten the distance from the base of the nose to the upper lip.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Lip Lift

+1

There are many technique to lift the upper lip. The design of incision does not have to cross the columella.

I Have heard of lip suspension, I do not believe it is proven or wide spread use.