Can You Perform a Capsullorhaphy with Transax Incision?

I'm in need for a revision to go smaller. Looking for a surgeon who does capaullorhaphies also, can it be done transax?

Transaxillary Incisions

+1

The armpit (trans-axillary approach) is an excellent option for implant insertion, and is my first choice for primary breast augmentation with both saline and silicone gel implants. It can also be used for implant replacement, however, it is difficult to suture the capsule (capsulorrhaphy) through this approach. You should discuss the pros and cons with your plastic surgeon. Most surgeons would use a more direct approach via the infra-mammary fold. Good luck.

Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Capsullorrahphy via trans axillary incision

+1

I have tried to do this procedure and I would not recommend it. If you are having capsule problems you are best to make an incision under the breast. This gives the best access for correcting the problem.  In the long run the result will be better and it will save you money and down time.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Transaxillary capsullorrhaphy possible endoscopically

+1

It is possible to have capsullorrhaphy via a trans axillary incision. It needs to be done endoscopic ally and it is much harder to do vs an infra mammary incision. You need an examination to assess you candidacy. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Capsulorrhaphy and transaxillary approach

+1

The transaxillary approach provides limited access to the pocket and it is probably best to use a different incision ( periareolar or inframammary) to gain better visualization.

Transaxillary breast augmentation revision

+1

Breast implants can be replaced and the capsules opened and expanded through a transaxillary approach, however capsulorraphy, or capsule repair is a tall order with such a small incision and distance involved.

Remote access of a Transaxillary Incision makes Capsulorrhaphy difficult

+1

The remote access and limited length of a transaxillary incision makes the technical steps of a capsulorrhaphy exceedingly difficult to perform. Even if you have had previously implant placement via the transaxillary approach, capsulorraphy revision through an inframammary incision is advisable.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant revision through armpit very limited

+1

The axillary approach limits the types of breast implant revisions that can be performed.

Implants can be removed and replaced via the armpit, but complex procedures like capsulorraphy cannot be performed reliably through the axillary approach.

Evaluating the actual need of a capsulorraphy should come first, an implant revision may be all that is necessary to a great outcome.

Mario Diana, MD
Plano Plastic Surgeon

Limitations of armpit incisions in breast augmentation

+1

There are definately limits of what you can do through armpit incisions for breast surgery.  A cpasule repair is probably one of them but depends on your exam.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS