Will I Need to Have a "Perfect" Nose?

I have quite a round nose, which I don't think I actually want to change (unless I need to for it to fit better with my alarplasty). I just sort of want a smaller version of the nose I have. It's a family nose and I'd be happy to keep it round as only my nostrils really bother me. If I went into a doctor's office for a consultation, would they push me into getting a "perfect" nose? I understand that most people undergoing rhinoplasty would want a perfect nose, but I don't. Will a doctor be okay with this?

Idea of "perfect nose" is not useful.

+2

Hi.

Your surgeon just needs to understand what you want.  Getting a smaller version of your own nose should be doable.

Communication is vital in rhinoplasty surgery

+2

As a plastic surgeon we work on a daily basis to please our patients.  Computer imaging is an excellent educational tool allowing both the patient and plastic surgeon to understand what a patient desires and what is possible.   It is not always possible to predict exactly what result will be the final out come but imaging definitely opens up the lines of communication so that we can understand what your ultimate goals are.  

Rhinopalsty and perfection

+2

First, there is no form of nasal perfection. The goal is to keep things natural and achieve the goals that the patient requests as best as possible. Talk to your surgeon.

Improvement, not "perfection" the goal of rhinoplasty

+2

One of the things that makes rhinoplasty such an enjoyable surgery is that every nose is unique.  The various combinations of facial features and shapes means there is no nose that is "perfect" for everyone.  Find a good surgeon, and be clear when expressing your goals to him/her, and you shouldn't have to be worried about being pushed to get a certain nose.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Perfect Nose

+2

During rhinoplasty consultation I typically use a digital imaging computer this allows the patient the ability to see what the proposed results are. This also allows an open conversation on your desires and what the surgeon feels would be the most aesthetically pleasing after taking into account your entire facial aesthetics. No surgeon should push you to do more then what changes you want. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Pushing the Perfect Nose

+2

An ethical and properly trained plastic surgeon should not be pushing you do anything.   The surgeons job is to listen to what your complaints are, evaluate you, make recommendations, and inform you if your goals are realistic and achievable.   If you find yourself being talked into anything your should probably go see someone else.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Trying to Achieve The "Perfect" Nose

+2

I would avoid any rhinoplasty surgeon who is looking to create the "perfect" nose on your face. First, there is no such thing as the perfect face. Therefore, placing what is thought to be a perfect nose on an imperfect face is already a step in the wrong direction. Second, perfection simply doesn't exist in the real world of plastic surgery. Although we aim to be as precise as we can in terms of surgical technique, the reality is that perfection cannot be attained. Tempering your goals with this knowledge is one of the best things you can do for yourself when contemplating rhinoplasty surgery. Your description of what you would like to achieve with surgery is precisely what you should voice to the surgeon. Wishing you the best of luck.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will I Need to Have a "Perfect" Nose?

+2

The recommendations I make to my patients are based upon their goals and aesthetic concerns. Rhinoplasty can range from slightly narrowing the tip or shaving down a bump on the bridge to an involved procedure that modifies all aspects of the nasal shape and length. The right procedure is the one that you want as long as your expectations are reasonable. You should never be pushed into changes that you don't want or don't think will fit your face. Most experienced Facial Plastic Surgeons will make their recommendations after first listening to what you desire. If you feel that your surgeon is not listening, keep looking for the surgeon that will. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty questions

+2

Thank you for the question. Your point is valid. The surgery can be tailored to what you want provided it can be achieved. You have set your goal and that is very important when it come to patient satisfaction. During your consultation, the plastic surgeon should give you all your options, but it does not mean you have change every aspect of the nose. Clear goals and achievable results will make assure your satisfaction.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Will I need to have a "perfect" nose?

+2

Rhinoplasty should be tailored specifically to the patient. The goal is to create a nose that is in harmony with the patient's face and complements their own facial features. Establishing good communication with your surgeon prior to surgery is essential, and will ensure you obtain a fantastic result that you are happy with. Computer imaging software helps give the patient an idea of how their nose may appear following surgery. It also serves as a great communication tool between the patient and surgeon. It is possible to make very subtle changes that leave you with a natural looking nose. I would recommend doing your homework and seeking an in-person consult with an experienced board certified surgeon. Look for good patient testimonials and before and after photos. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD