Perfect eyelids in morning but they droop and get worse throughout the day. What causes this?

Hi, I've noticed when I wake up in the morning, my eyes are pretty much perfect and are not droopy but throughout the day they start to droop and get worse. This is the case with my brother and mum too, three sisters and dad have perfect eyes. I'm wondering if this could be caused by like a deficiency in something? I can't seem to understand what changes during the day that causes eyelids to droop. Fluid retention? dont think its a heavy eyelid or weak muscle otherwise they'd droop at morning?

Eyelids droop as the day progresses

+2
It sounds like you may have a familial or genetic condition affecting your muscle function. You must consult with a neurologist, as one possible diagnosis, though rare, is a condition called Myasthenia Gravis.

London Plastic Surgeon

Eyes tired during the day

+2
  • It sounds as though you have a familial, genetic condition that affects upper lid muscle stamina.
  • A Board Certified Opthalmologist may have the answer after and exam, if not
  • See a Board Certified Neuro-opthalmologist, a subspecialty of Ophthalmology. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Perfect eyelids in morning but they droop and get worse throughout the day

+2
You have droopy eyelids that fatigue with activity and hence noticed at the end of the day.
Do you notice that these get worse after being in front of the computer for a prolonged period of time.
You should see an Eyelid Specialist who will be able to advise you about your next logical steps

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

This could represent upper eyelid ptosis.

+2
I would recommend being assessed by an oculoplastic consultant to determine the basis for your concern.  If it is minor, surgery may not be worth your while at this time.  However, knowing why the eyelids are doing this can give you a sense of peace even if you chose not to have surgery at this time.

You need to see an oculoplastic surgeon

+1
You need to have your droopy eyelids (ptosis) evaluated by an oculoplastic surgeon to investigate for a myopathic cause of ptosis - like ocular myasthenia.
Are you suffering with double vision ?

Sabrina Shah-Desai, MS, FRCS
London Oculoplastic Surgeon