Had Perfect Breathing with Deviated Septum; Fixed Septum and Can't Breathe Now?

I had rhinoplasty 3 months ago. I hated my nose, but had absolutely no trouble breathing. In consult, the surgeon discovered I had a very deviated septum and assumed I had breathing problems. I did not but we decided to fix it so I'd breathe even better. Now post surgery it is a struggle to breath through my nose. Feels like someone is squeezing it constantly. It has been this way for at least 2 months and isn't getting any better. Is it possible I will never breath easily again w/o surgery?

Breathing Problems Post Rhinoplasty

+1

In essence, if one has a cosmetic rhinoplasty and has breathing problems post operatively early on, this is not uncommon due to allergies or swelling. At 3 months, this should resolve. If not, this may be a functional/structural problem or a new allergic problem. Seek guidance from an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon as this may functional.

Rhinoplasty can change nasal breathing

+1

Although septal shape and position are important factors in nasal breathing, the structural support provided by the external nasal framework (the cartilage and bones under the skin that give your nose its shape) also play an important role in your ability to breathe through your nose.  Rhinoplasty typically involves modifying and trimming the bony and cartilaginous framework of the nose. Difficulty breathing through either one or both sides of the nose can occur after rhinoplasty.  

Three months after surgery is probably a good time to speak with your surgeon about what he sees when he examines you and what his/her thoughts are. You are still healing and there is a possibility that your breathing will improve but this is a good time to start a discussion with your surgeon regarding this issue.