What is Percentage of Complications for 2nd Reduction?

I'm 40DD asymmetrical post reduction 30 years. I'm unable to wear any support bra that causes pressure against ribcage due to multiple fractured ribs in 1996 & costal chondritis so desire reduction to small C. I've sought consults w/ 3 Top Docs. Doc #1 says she can remove 650>R/500>g. Doc# 2 is reluctant to remove desired amt due to possible nipple loss. Doc 3 says most he will reduce is 250g R & 170 L He would leave nipple untouched. Q. Is desired reduction amount too risky? Bellasma

Risks for a repeat reduction

A second reduction can be done but the risks of post-operative problems are certainly higher. If I have a patient requesting a second reduction, I request a copy of the operative report from their first surgery as this can help me plan the second. Even so, the risk of problems with wound healing or nipple loss are higher. Whether this risk is reasonable for you is something you need to be honest with yourself about and discuss with your surgeon. I had one patient who did have a significant healing problem which required revisionary surgery. She ended up considerably smaller than either of us had anticipated. However, she understood the risk and was willing to accept it and so, for her, it all worked out. But it was a much longer recuperation than anticipated and she had an additional surgery. Good luck to you with your decision.

Repeat breast reduction surgery carries all of the risks associated with first-time breast reduction surgery. In addition, the concern would be about potentially compromising blood flow to the nipple areola and other breast tissue ( given your history of previous breast surgery). After 30 years these risks would be extremely small.

Some of the risks/potential complications associated with breast reduction surgery include: infection, bleeding, seroma, hematoma, wound healing problems, abnormal scarring ( hypertrophic or keloid), loss of sensation, inability to breast-feed, breast asymmetry, necrosis of tissue or skin, unsatisfactory cosmetic results, unpredictability of exact cup size postoperatively, recurrence of the breast hypertrophy, and the potential for further surgery. other risks related to surgery in general include deep venous thrombosis (clots), pulmonary embolism, pneumonia and even death.

The vast majority of patients who undergo repeat breast reduction surgery by well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons and board certified anesthesiologists do very well and complications tend to be relatively minor and treatable.

Redo Breast reduction

A repeat breast reduction is possible but an evaluation in person would be the only way for me to say what is possible. Certainly secondary reductions increase the risk of potential nipple issues.