Do I Have Symmastia? I Know I Have Bottomed Out. (photo)

I was concerned I have symastia. I have very poor skin and I know I have bottomed out. My surgery was a little over a year ago. I was a 32A with deflated breast from breastfeeding. I got moderate plus 375 saline which my ps wanted me to go with silicone due to my tissue and skin. I can lift up my skin off my bone a little bit but it goes right back to the bone. I was also wondering if i had them removed, how my breasts would look like after. Please look at my pics and tell me what you think.

+1

You do not have symmastia which a one continuous pocket across the mid-line of your chest.  With removal of your implants your chest would be two lax skin flaps.  I would consider a revision.

Web reference: http://www.drvitenas.com/surgical-breast.html

Synmastia

+1

Synmastia describes when the pockets of your breast come together and one large breast pocket crossing the midline is created.  Your photographs do not demonstrate this.  I do agree, however, that your implants have bottomed-out.  This could be corrected, if desired, by recreating your inframammary fold and reshaping your breast pockets.

It is difficult to tell how your breasts would look without implants without an examination.  If you are willing to proceed with a surgical procedure regardless, your plastic surgeon may consider delating your saline implants in the office in order for you to visualize how they would look without implants or assist you in deciding which procedure(s) would be right for you. Hope that this helps!  Good luck with your decision!

Web reference: http://www.albertandresmd.com

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Questions about bottoming out and synmastia

+1

Synmastia is a condition that occurs when the two implant pockets erode into each other creating one large implant pocket.   Since there is still a small space between your breasts you do not have this condition.  You do have a small degree of bottoming out.  If you are happy with your breast condition currently then I think that you are fine  In the future if your implants continue to drift inferiorly or medially then you may be a candidate for some type of capsule procedure such as a capsulopexy or you may consider using smaller implants, or shaped textured implants.  Another choice would be to consider the use a acellular dermal matrix material such as Alloderm or Stratisse to help support your breast implant especially if you have poor skin quality.  A consultation with your plastic surgeon may help you understand your condition and suggest possible solutions.  

No Symmastia

+1

I do not think that you have symmastia.  The angle of your photos is not straight on, so based solely on the photos I would say you may have bottoming out.

Possible Symmastia and Implant Removal

+1

There is no symmastia as there is a space (small) between your breast mounds.  You can get the implants removed, if desired.  You may want to consider pocket revisions to help support the implants and raise them.  If they are removed, it is difficult to predict how much the skin and tissue will retract.  The sooner after the initial augmentation the implants are removed the better the degree of contraction.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Do I Have Symmastia? I Know I Have Bottomed Out

+1

You do not have symmastia.  If you remove your implants you will have skin laxity which may return to normal after a few months.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Symmastia After Breast Augmentation ??

+1

You definitely do not have symmastia. Removing your implants will not return your breasts to where they started, there will be more loose skin than before. Whether this will necessitate the need for a breast lift is doubtful but they will be more lax than before.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyplasticscurgery.com

Not symmastia

+1

Your photos do not show a symmastia (uniboob) deformity.  Also, if you removed the implants you would likely return to what you were before surgery plus some new laxity in the skin.  I doubt you'd need a lift though and you'd just need to give your tissues 6 months to shrink back as well as they can.

Do I Have Symmastia?

+1

No. Symmastia is defined as absence of definition between the breasts. There is clear separation on these photos. And yes, you do have bottoming out.

As to removing the implants, that would best follow a long discussion with your surgeon. Given your impression of having "very poor skin" you would probably be left with a lot of excess skin and might wind up needing a breast lift, and it is not easy to bet a nice shape on a A cup breast. 

Part of any such discussion should include the alternative of smaller implants. Thanks,, all the best. 

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.