Slit for Belly Button?

I had tummy tuck and's been 8 weeks now and my belly button is a mere small slit . What I am wondering is.. do we need a belly button to be open or can it just be left this way or is it ugly? I really don't want to go thru another surgery for something that really healthwise doesn't matter.

Belly Button following tummy tuck

A full abdominoplasty requires the surgical creation of a new belly button. Creating the new belly button, which is called an umbilicoplasty, is a part of tummy tuck surgery that requires a great deal of attention and finesse on the part of the surgeon. My goal is to create a new belly button that, as much as possible, resembles a 'natural' belly button. Natural belly buttons do NOT look like a perfect circle, and circular umbilicoplasty scars are a tummy tuck dead giveaway.

The technique I use for umbilicoplasty is designed to create a slightly 'hooded' appearance to the upper half of the belly button, an appearance that is generally considered fit and athletic. Not all patients have the goal of wearing a two-piece swimsuit, but many do, and I want these patients to be able to do so without feeling self-conscious about the appearance of their new belly button.

Communicate wit your plastic surgeon about your concerns

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

10941 Raven Ridge Rd
Raleigh, NC 27614

Small Slit for Belly Button after Tummy Tuck

If the slit is large enough a marble or something similar can be helpful for preventing further contraction.  If you are a hypertrophic scar or keloid scar former, belly button constriction is far more common. This can be fixed in a 10 minute office procedure under local anesthesia. 

435 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Belly button "touch-ups" can work well.

You are still early in your recovery from tummy tuck surgery. If you are bother by it at all, then consider a revision which is typically performed in office setting under local anesthesia. I typically wait at least 6 months to perform a revision.  Not to worry too much!

George H. Landis, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

109 Bushaway Road
Wayzata, MN 55391

Unattractive Belly Button

The umbilicus (belly button) is not a necessary structure.  If you are not satisfied with the aesthetics of your belly button then you are not obligated to correct it .  The are not health consequences.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS, FACS

2220 Wisteria Drive
Snellville, GA 30078

Concern for a slit like belly button

Having a small, slit like belly button is not usually a medically concerning issue except for the problem at times of keeping it clean as it may accumulate material. It can be an aesthetic detraction, particularly if you do not like its appearance. You are still early in the healing process so for a variety of reasons, I would wait another few months before undergoing a revision if it is still indicated.

Presently, I would mention your concerns of its shape and size with your plastic surgeon. Typically, a revision of this is a very minor procedure which can be performed in the office under local anesthesia.

Good luck

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

10290 N 92nd St
Scottsdale, AZ 85258

Small belly button after tummy tuck

At this point you are still early in your recovery from tummy tuck surgery. If you are ok with the belly button appearance then you don't need additional surgery to correct it. The only thing with a very small belly button is that it's difficult to clean. If you are bother by it at all, then consider a revision which is typically performed in office setting under local anesthesia. I usually will perform it after 6 to 9 months from the initial surgery.

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

76 N Hudson Ave
Pasadena, CA 91101

Small umbilical opening following an abdominoplasty

It is certainly possible that your umbilical opening will change over time.  Eight weeks is very early in the healing process.  At times the umbilical opening will contract down and get very small.  In these cases a minor revision may be necessary.  Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.  

3096 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
Duluth, GA 30097

The belly button may appear too small due to swelling

At first, the belly button may appear to be small and when the swelling around the belly button goes away it will appear to be the proper size it was designed to be.  This is the most common reason that the belly button appears too small immediately after surgery.  It may take 6 months to see the final result.  You should speak to your plastic surgeon about this. 

Dev Wali, MD
Claremont Plastic Surgeon

250 West First Street
Claremont, CA 91711

Belly button after tummy tuck

belly button after tummy tuck

1. too small is easier to fix than too big
  2. small procedure under local 

3991 MacArthur Blvd
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Not necessary to "fix" belly button

The shape of the belly button after a tummy tuck is dependent on the surgeon and the technique used for your surgery.  In general, there is no health risk to leaving your belly button as it is.  If you are unhappy with the shape, or if you are having problems, a small surgery can be done to change the size and shape.  This is often done with local anesthesia.  There is no harm in waiting, either, to decide if you are satisfied with how it looks.

Hope this helps.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

2207 San Pedro Drive Northeast
Albuquerque, NM 87110