Can a Revision Be Done on Implant with Strattice to Just Lower the Implant, Nothing Else?

I have had revision of my implants with strattice put in, but one boob is slightly higher than the other and I have to adjust bra straps all the time. I would like to know if you can lower a breast that already has strattice in it without renewing the strattice. In other words, can you just lower the pocket without disturbing the strattice? I hope that makes sense. Thank you so much.

Breast Revision with Strattice Already in Place

+1

Thank you for your question.  How long ago was your Strattice placed?  Why was Strattice used?  I would wait at least 6 months after your last revision before another operation. Depending on where/how your Strattice was placed, I don't see any reason why the Strattice couldn't be safely divided to lower the position of the implant that's too high. A huge part of my practice is revisionary breast surgery and Strattice has really expanded our treatment options for patients with implant complications.  You should speak to your surgeon about your concerns.  Good luck!

Breast Revision and Acellular Dermal Matrix (ADM)

+1
ADM, whether it’s Strattice, Alloderm or another brand, typically undergoes incorporation into your own tissue over 6 months or so. Therefore you should wait at least that long before undergoing revision breast surgery. In my practice the use of ADM has significantly increased success rate of breast revision for difficult cases. In your particular case, most likely there will not be a need for use of ADM simply to lower the position of the breast implant.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Strattice and lowering pocket

+1

It really depends upon where the strattice has been placed. It can be incised to lower the inframammary region as well if the fold is too high.

Yes it can but often its not needed.

+1

Thank you for the question.  Lowering a breast implant pocket usually does not need any acellular dermal matrix (Strattice).  Strattice and similar products can be used to provide extra support if the position of the implant may not be held properly by the breast tissue after pocket lowering.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Strattice

+1

I have found strattice useful when raising an implant.  I have not used it when lowering an implant nor do I think it would be necessary for that specific purpose.  

Joshua A. Greenwald, MD

Strattice not needed to lower an implant

+1

Breast pocket revision to lower an implant is unlikely to require an allograft material such as Strattice. Reinforcing a large pocket to hold  an implant in place is a common use.