Who Do You Go to for a Biopsy with Strattice?

I might have to go for a biopsy for my breast. I have strattice in both nipples and around bottom. They want to go in my nipples. I'm afraid it will wreck the strattice.....so who do I go to for the biopsy? My radiologists said she had never heard of strattice.....scary!!! I'm in Arizona. Thank you for the help.

Breast Biopsy with Acellular Dermal Matrix (ADM)

+1

If you have Strattice, an Acellular Dermal Matrix (ADM), in place, you should return to your plastic surgeon who placed it or another plastic surgeon. Occasionally the masses seen by radiologists are related to the implant or ADM and do not need biopsy. If they do, the plastic surgeon can protect the implant and the ADM.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Breast biopsy

+1

You should see a plastic surgeon.  Why do you need a biopsy?  Was a lump found under your nipple?  If so, is that lump actually the strattice which you are feeling?  A plastic surgeon will be able to help you sort it out.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

A cellular dermal matrix not a contraindication to needle biopsy of breast.

+1

I don't think you have anything to worry about relative to the acellular dermal matrix inside your breast. Nevertheless it should have your plastic surgeon in the radiologist communicate with one another.

What Happens To Strattice or Other ADMs After Surgery?

+1

The great thing about strattice or other brands of ADM ( stands for acellular dermal matrix) is that they become a part of your own tissues as your blood supply grows into them.  When you re-operate through the area of Strattice, the tissue is thicker, but it looks like your own.  Sometimes it is difficult to identify where the material is. Strattice should not interfere with your need to have an important biopsy. 

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Breast biopsy with Strattice in place

+1

There are a couple questions to ask first. How long has your Strattice been in place? If longer than 3-6 months your body virtually grows into it and incorporates it so a cautious needle biopsy is not an issue. Is it possible the area they want to biopsy is the Strattice itself? The plastic surgeon who placed your Strattice should be involved in this discussion with the rest of the team taking care of you. You can inform the radiologist that Strattice is called an Acellular Dermal Matrix (ADM) used to provide coverage/support for implants or in your case it sounds like it was used to give projection to your nipples. In any case, make sure you discuss the plans with your plastic surgeon.

I wish you well

Dr. Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Either a radiologist or oncologist

+1

Thank you for the question.  A core needle biopsy or open biopsy can be done without much concern for the strattice.  More than a month after, the starttice should be well integrated with good blood supply.  If you have implants they will have to be careful of that.  Whomever will do your biposy can also contact your plastic surgeon for guidance about the biopsy procedure.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

+1

The Strattice by now has been populated by cells from your body, and should tolerate surgery without issues. I would see a breast oncologist and have him/her call your plastic surgeon if he/she have any concerns.