8 months since tt....how hard can you massage the scar and stomach area? I'm 66 if that makes a difference.

Massaging a scar has no benefits and I'm aware of.

+1

Lots of doctors recommend massage of the scar. I've never read anything scientifically valid to substantiate this. Massaging can lead to release of histamine which theoretically would aggravate scarring.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,21-atlanta-abdominoplast.htm

Scar following TT

+1

Hi and thank you for your question. It would have been useful to see what the appearance of your scar is, but my advice would be to see your PS if you have any concerns re your scar

London Plastic Surgeon

Scar massage 8 months post-op after tummy tuck

+1

Generally it is a good idea to perform regular scar massage during the first several months after a tummy tuck.  The good thing about being in your sixties is that your dermis is probably a bit thinner than it was when you were younger, and that means usually your scars won't be as thick; the bad thing about it is that your skin may be a bit more fragile and prone to injury from overly aggressive massage.  Also, the biggest gains to be had from massage, in my experience, are in the first 1 - 6 months, and beyond that, the collagen in the scar tissue has begun to "set," and the scar is beginning to mature.  My point is that you should continue to massage if you are seeing thickness of your scar, but only with a good lubricating scar ointment or cream - you should always use lubricant to avoid friction on the skin and injury to the delicate healing tissues, and only with firm pressure, but not so firm you are injuring your tissues.  This is something you will have to judge for yourself in conjunction with your surgeon.  If you are noticing redness, bruising, or discoloration of your scar after massaging, you are doing it too frequently and too aggressively. Usually twice a day with a firm, but gentle pressure is all that is necessary.  If you have persistent thickness, or any kind of pain, itching, or other unpleasant sensations in your scar, be sure to address these with your surgeon too.  Sometimes scars that are hypertrophic, or too large, will benefit from injection of medications too.

8 months since tt....how hard can you massage the scar and stomach area?

+1

Congratulations on undergoing your procedure. It is not reliable to express tactile  issues in words. If you are having any issues with your scarring, your surgeon will be the best resource for an in office review of scar massage.All the best.