Why Do So Many People Only Need 1 Treatment with Zeltiq? Can You Explain The Percentage of Fat Lost?

I've read everything I can but I am confused. If I hate 100% of my love handles and belly fat enough to have Zeltiq done a 20-40% loss seems like I'd need multiple sessions. Or is it that 20-40% of the fat cells are destroyed but actual loss is more significant? I fit the profile perfectly and have always been naturally thin, never had to diet etc but now at 45 Ive got this muffin top I want gone, not 20-40% gone. Am I making sense. Maybe I don't understand what 20% looks like? Thanks!!

Fat reduction with CoolSculpting

+2

I agree its difficult to explain what a 20-25% fat reduction looks like but to get a better idea I would suggest that you visit a local CoolSculpting expert and have them show you what their results are after one treatment and then you will have some mental picture of what that translates to.  Most patients that I have treated that are good candidates are satisfied with one treatment.  The number of treatments required by the patient is mostly determined by the baseline size of the bulge and the patient's expectation and tolerance for their bulge.  If you are as you indicate relatively trim                      with only a small bulge than one treatment may indeed be sufficient. 

Long Island Dermatologist

20% decrease of fat with Coolsculpting

+2

Yes, it is difficult to picture 20% decrease... On average, a patient will normally need 2 treatments on the same area to be happy with the results. Imagine that you have 2 treatments on your love handles.. 8 weeks after the 2nd treatment you should see that the area is less by 50% or so... meaning is 1/2 as bulky as when you started.

It might be a good idea to go in and speak with a doctor so that you are clear on how things work and what type of results to expect.  My patients are loving this procedure!

Best Wishes!

Zeltiq Treatment

+1
Thank you for your question. When you have your CoolSculpting treatment, the affected fat cells will be eliminated. As long as you maintain your weight with your normal diet and exercise, your long-term results should remain stable. This is why most patients only need one treatment. 

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Coolsculpting love handles

+1

We tell most of our patients to expect two sequential treatments at least 2 months apart. However the great majority of patients are satisfied with one treatment. This procedure works great in correctly selected patients.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting and fat loss

+1

I can understand your confusion. It sounds that you are an ideal candidate for liposuction. If you have a localized bulge of significant fat, the liposuction procedure is the most effective procedure with which to remove the fat. If your fat were just a small thickness, then it wouldn't warrant the risks of liposuction on thin areas. You might need multiple treatments with CoolSculpting to reduce enough of the fat volume to make you satisfied. 20% of fat loss at four months is the average result but that means that some patients in the study got less than 20% while others got better than 20%!

Ronald Shelton, MD